Drum Brakes/ Pads

Tighthead123

Hello,
Drum brakes 65 Mustang.
Drum was in good condition
Replaced shoes and all hardware, springs, adjuster, cable guide, and wheel cylinder.
Shop Diagram shows a “shoe retracting assist spring” There was no such spring installed when I took it apart. Do I need this spring?
AutoParts store said I didn’t need it.
My issue is that the secondary shoe keeps coming off the anchor pin.
I have correct pads. Measured drum and pads to make sure. Plate that pads sit against is smooth.
maybe a faulty wheel cylinder? Wrong springs? I adjusted till drum dragged then backed off a little. Any suggestions? When I get my Jack back and can take wheel off I will send pics.
Thanks!

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
There are several different hardware kits as well as spring kits and wheel cylinders sizes. Will be looking to see your pictures.

B RON CO

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, the brake shoes should each have a heavy return spring up top, and one at the bottom at the adjuster.
If you can't get the shoes to stay tight to the anchor post you will have trouble getting the drum on. First thing to check is the emergency brake is released and the emergency brake cables are not frozen. Otherwise something else is not right. Good luck

Tighthead123

There are several different hardware kits as well as spring kits and wheel cylinders sizes. Will be looking to see your pictures.

Attachments

• 652B1FF2-36A6-46D7-8FBF-E1732508A599.jpeg
    652B1FF2-36A6-46D7-8FBF-E1732508A599.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • CF5EF080-71FF-41CA-AB46-7943C7C2031D.jpeg
    CF5EF080-71FF-41CA-AB46-7943C7C2031D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Hi Tighthead123, in your above pictures the top anchor / return springs, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, the shoe anchor to backing plate springs, the shoe adjusters, and the self adjuster lever are all the correct parts. I can't see the one end of the botom adjuster spring but I suspect it's the right part too. However your brake shoes are close to being totally worn out and I can only see the upper part of the self adjuster cable being installed that goes from the top anchor pin down over the shoe cable guide I don't see the other end going down and convecting into the self adjuster lever slot were the lower self adjuster return spring is also hooked up in. Is this cable broke? Without that cable installed the self adjusters won't be able to operate, plus the shoes won't be located properly or be able stay in their correct operating position. If you get the self adjuster cables and install them that should fix your brakes temporally at least until the shoes are the rest of the way worn out. Most Auto parts stores such as NAPA ect. Should have or be able to get them they are the same on all Ford 9 inch self adjusting brakes from about 1962 to early 1970's Falcon, Comet, Maverick, Mustangs etc. see below link for an example of what they look like. Best of luck

Ford & Mercury 9 Inch Drum Brake Self Adjuster Cables

B RON CO

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, the picture blurs out when I zoom in on the anchor pin . Something doesn't look right. I also see the bottom looks really wet. Why is it so wet. Can you spin the hub or remove it to see the self adjuster cable at the bottom. How does the passenger side look? Good luck

Tighthead123

Hi Tighthead123, in your above pictures the top anchor / return springs, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, the shoe anchor to backing plate springs, the shoe adjusters, and the self adjuster lever are all the correct parts. I can't see the one end of the botom adjuster spring but I suspect it's the right part too. However your brake shoes are close to being totally worn out and I can only see the upper part of the self adjuster cable being installed that goes from the top anchor pin down over the shoe cable guide I don't see the other end going down and convecting into the self adjuster lever slot were the lower self adjuster return spring is also hooked up in. Is this cable broke? Without that cable installed the self adjusters won't be able to operate, plus the shoes won't be located properly or be able stay in their correct operating position. If you get the self adjuster cables and install them that should fix your brakes temporally at least until the shoes are the rest of the way worn out. Most Auto parts stores such as NAPA ect. Should have or be able to get them they are the same on all Ford 9 inch self adjusting brakes from about 1962 to early 1970's Falcon, Comet, Maverick, Mustangs etc. see below link for an example of what they look like. Best of luck

Ford & Mercury 9 Inch Drum Brake Self Adjuster Cables
Maybe the previous owner put the wrong drums on because they are 10 inch drums (inside diameter) not 9 inch.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yeah if the drums are 10 inch and the brake shoes are 9 inch that would be a problem. What do the brake shoes measure installed?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
So were you able to find those 10 inch self adjusting cables?

Tighthead123

Well I measured wrong. I thought outside edge to outside edge. But it’s inside to inside so I have 9 inch drums. I replaced everything including shoes. Brakes awesome now. It had to be self adjusting wires they were so stretched they wouldn’t hold lower spring right.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Congrats that's great glad that you got everything working properly so you have safe brakes!