Dual Battery setup suggestions?

Hello,

Im new here looking for some help.
Ive got an 81 f-350 dually 4.9 flatbed. I plan on installing some hydraulics to make it a lift bed.

Im going to a dual optima battery setup under the hood. Do you guys have any suggestion on what model batteries (yellow, red..) Also should i run an isolator? Bigger alternator? General wiring setup?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Big six Farmer

I would say for sure a large deep cycle battery for the lift, ( Marine, boat stuff )... An isolator system for sure... As far as mounting the Batteries under the hood, that should be easy. Mid 80s Diesel pickups had dual battery mountings, so go for that... Larger Alternator not a bad idea. Look into a newer Ford 3G swap, stupid simple and worth it.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
You should run an isolator to be sure the primary battery will always have power to start the engine.
Do you want to be able to charge the second battery from an outside charger?

The yellow top Optima are AGM batteries and work well for both a starter and a deep cycle battery.
The only consideration is you need a charger specifically for AGM batteries when charging externally from the truck.

Last edited:

sixtseventwo4d

Isolators come in many forms from simple to well, not so simple. A little homework goes a long way. Properly sized cable and connections prevent disappointment.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Isolators come in many forms from simple to well, not so simple. A little homework goes a long way.
That's is why I asked the question "Do you want to be able to charge the second battery from an outside charger?"
That would require a Dual Sensing Isolator.
This thread is part of the "Homework"

Last edited:

sixtseventwo4d

The separator above serves the purpose of an isolator and 1315-200 allows bi-directional charging as well. Price isn't bad either. I'm not promoting this, it's just something for comparison

I like the idea of simplicity. I was hoping my alternator could charge both and have both be active for starting, extra, lights and hydraulics. But im not sure what problem could arise from a simple setup like that. Do you guys have any input on that?

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
The REDARC Smart Start SBI 12V 100A will charge both batteries when the engine is running and disconnect the second batteries when engine is off.

This video will give a good explanation.

sixtseventwo4d

The sure po
I like the idea of simplicity. I was hoping my alternator could charge both and have both be active for starting, extra, lights and hydraulics. But im not sure what problem could arise from a simple setup like that. Do you guys have any input on that?
the sure power 1315-200 will do all of what your asking. It's 200 amp, has it's own logic built in. If you read through the installation steps above it tells what it will do for you. Its not big at all; about twice the size of your typical ford starter solenoid you find mounted on the fender of the older trucks

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
the sure power 1315-200 will do all of what your asking. It's 200 amp, has it's own logic built in. If you read through the installation steps above it tells what it will do for you. Its not big at all; about twice the size of your typical ford starter solenoid you find mounted on the fender of the older trucks
It's another good choice.
The aux start switch is a nice feature.