Engine Assembly Tool Recommendations

Rmoore45

Didn't see a specific area to ask questions about tools so this'll have to do.

Looking for recommendations regarding a micrometer and dial bore gauge for measuring main and rod bearing clearances. As well as any other precision tools that I'll need to assemble an engine. Looking for high quality tools, they will be an investment for future projects so price isn't a big factor.

Tools I currently have
  • Basic Hand Tools
  • Torque Wrenches
  • 0-6" Digital Caliper
  • Cam Bearing Removal & Installation Tool
  • Dial Indicator with magnetic stand (bought for doing differential rebuilds)

Been looking at Starrett tools but I'm no expert on the subject and there are many different options out there.

Thanks

Lisle 18000 is a dependable cam-bearing installer. I believe it is still made here. There look to be copies of it out there for about half of what it cost. Even Blue Point used it in their line of tooling.
Look around for a good magnetic base stand. I have bought some that won't even stick half as good as chewing gum. Finally, just grabbed a Starrett. A good mic should have it's own case or box. Helios is very nice for measuring. CDI Torque is good so are many others, They were a manufacturer for Snap-on and I believe Proto also. These should have their own case as well

The most important tools are the ones nobody makes. At best, a generic tool is a compromise. To that end I have made several tools specifically for our six cylinder engines. Here's pix of a few. Feel free to ask about the function that the pic does not adequately describe -

Attachments

• camtool04.jpg
    camtool04.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 18
  • chamber template 01.JPG
    chamber template 01.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • clnr02.jpg
    clnr02.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 15
  • crank dummy01.jpg
    crank dummy01.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 15
  • crank dummy03.jpg
    crank dummy03.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 17
  • crankpolishr01_1.jpg
    crankpolishr01_1.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 18
  • crankrack01_3.jpg
    crankrack01_3.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 19
  • damper marks 07.jpg
    damper marks 07.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 17
  • dmpr pullr 01.jpg
    dmpr pullr 01.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Exhaust Clips 1.JPG
    Exhaust Clips 1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Some more (file was too big):

Attachments

• handl02.jpg
    handl02.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 24
  • handl03.jpg
    handl03.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 25
  • head_fixture_02.jpg
    head_fixture_02.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Legohead 2.jpg
    Legohead 2.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 19
  • oil pan fixture01.jpg
    oil pan fixture01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • oil pan fixture02.jpg
    oil pan fixture02.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 16
  • oil pan fixture04.jpg
    oil pan fixture04.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 16
  • puller 02.jpg
    puller 02.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 18
  • puller 04.jpg
    puller 04.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 23
I love the wood handles for setting the head. Just enough work was put into it to make the process comfortable.

I love the wood handles for setting the head. Just enough work was put into it to make the process comfortable.
Thanks Wesman. You know me - The Minimalist. In the case of the handles it is my bride that usually helps me place the head over the studs. To distribute the workload fairly I placed the head hangers offset so one person is doing most of the lifting. Sometimes I even give her the "lite" end.

Cylinder head CC kit with 100 cc Burette and plexiglass sealing plate. It can be used for piston dish volume also
Valve Spring Height Micrometer
Low tension checking valve springs
Valve spring compressor
Adjustable pushrod length checkers.
12" caliper so you can measure pushrod length and block deck height.
Degree Wheel. An 11" wheel is accurate enough for a 300 six.
Dail indicator with magnetic base
High grade threaded rod that fits into the end of the crankshaft to install the balancer
A puller for the crankshaft balancer
High grade threaded rod that fits into the end of the camshaft to help install the camshaft and to press the cam gear on to the camshaft.
Piston ring compressor. A set of non adjustable compressors are preferred.
Piston ring filer
Piston Ring Installation Tool

Starrett tools are good for micrometer and dial bore gauges.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys!

As of right now I plan on using these tools to assemble my 351W and 300 engine builds.

@THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER - I love all your little jigs and custom tools you've made over the years. Gives me plenty of ideas!

@pmuller9 - That's the kind of information I was looking for!

I had asked about micrometers because after looking at 2-3" mikes on the Starrett website, I was somewhat confused. There are many different types of 2-3" micrometers. Trying to figure out which one would be the best for this application. The ratchet stop feature seems like it would be useful.

Not too clear on which dial bore gauge I'll need either. This one seems like it should do what I need for these builds though

What micrometers & dial bore gauges do you guys use?

Thanks

The friction stop doesn't actually give you an accurate tension to measure with, it takes a lot of practice to acquire the right feel for mic'ing a journal or piston. Starrett is good, most of mine are that brand on my day job and Mitutoyo is also good. Make sure you get mic's that read in tenths and that they include the calibration standards and wrench to adjust it....

I also made some cam handles for inserting cams into engines. They are very handy when you have long cams like for inline engines. The handle are about a foot long and made from 1-1/4" aluminum hex so you can hold it with both hands and gently guide it in without dinging the cam bearings. I'll post pics of it....

Last edited:
Back