All Big Six ENGINE POWER 300 TURBO CHARGED EPISODE

Relates to all big sixes

reracer

I'd probably shoot for lower compression with a smaller turbo. What I'm really trying to accomplish is a mild 302 alternative. I want around 350hp and 450tq, but not all the time. I think a mild turbo 300 will give me the power when I want it, and better economy when I don't need the power. Best of both worlds...maybe

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I'd probably shoot for lower compression with a smaller turbo. What I'm really trying to accomplish is a mild 302 alternative. I want around 350hp and 450tq, but not all the time. I think a mild turbo 300 will give me the power when I want it, and better economy when I don't need the power. Best of both worlds...maybe
The highest compression ratio you can get with a hypereutectic piston and the 1973 cylinder head is 8.6
The EFI exhaust manifolds will work well.
You would be looking at a turbocharger with a 57mm compressor inducer with a stock head.
Some port work and larger valves would move the turbocharger size up to 62mm
Hydraulic cam with a .050" duration no more than 210 degrees.

Last edited:

reracer

The highest compression ratio you can get with a hypereutectic piston and the 1973 cylinder head is 8.6
The EFI exhaust manifolds will work well.
You would be looking at a turbocharger with a 57mm compressor inducer with a stock head.
Some port work and larger valves would move the turbocharger size up to 62mm
Hydraulic cam with a .050" duration no more than 210 degrees.
I'll probably get the iron Promaxx head and use the EFI intake and exhaust. I'd like the only use the lower half of the intake and just fab up a box plenum with a single throttle body, just to simplify the induction and then use the Holley HP computer.

I'll probably do some port work and run an eBay gt35 turbo. Custom turbo camshaft will be used.

MechRick

1K+
VIP
The 300 is already a better truck engine than a 302, on many levels. It's more accurate to compare a boosted 300 to a 460. If the turbo is sized to provide a few psi of boost at cruise RPM you'll notice a slight increase in fuel economy (assuming EFI). I would guess at least 1 mpg.

reracer

The 300 is already a better truck engine than a 302, on many levels. It's more accurate to compare a boosted 300 to a 460. If the turbo is sized to provide a few psi of boost at cruise RPM you'll notice a slight increase in fuel economy (assuming EFI). I would guess at least 1 mpg.
Music to my ears. That's exactly what I'm looking to do. My only real concern is the pistons. Realistically, I plan on driving around with a max 7-8psi boost. I'm pretty sure a hypereutectic piston at around 8.5/1 should be good.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
So I got to watch the Turbo 300 episode last night was really interesting.

That is a billet distributor and I don't know of a billet distributor for the 300 six.
Maybe someone here can identify it.

The Comp cam used Magnum 5203 intake lobes and 5208 exhaust lobes.
The intake lobe has a 280 degree .006" duration and was set 6 degrees advanced for a 8.0 DCR if you use the 9.95 static compression ratio Pat said they had.

If you watch the turbocharged video closely they removed the HEI distributor and replaced it with a small cap distributor that could trigger the Holley Sniper.
It is a billet distributor and I would like to know what it is?

They didn't have any real clear views of the Billet Distributor they used to ID it, but I believe that it's one of the new Progression Ignition. https://progressionignition.com

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
They didn't have any real clear views of the Billet Distributor they used to ID it, but I believe that it's one of the new Progression Ignition.
You are correct. On the third dyno pull you can clearly see the fitting on the bottom of the distributor with the boost reference line connected.
Thanks Bubba

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I'll probably get the iron Promaxx head and use the EFI intake and exhaust. I'd like the only use the lower half of the intake and just fab up a box plenum with a single throttle body, just to simplify the induction and then use the Holley HP computer.
Both Promaxx heads for the 300 six are iron.
The Promaxx stock replacement head will give you a 9.1 compression ratio with the Speed Pro H519P Hyper piston while the Promaxx CNC ported head yields an 8.8 compression ratio with the same piston at zero deck

The stock replacement head has shrouded valves and doesn't have good flow at valve lifts below .350"
The CNC version has unshrouded large valves and flows well.

Last edited:

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
You are correct. On the third dyno pull you can clearly see the fitting on the bottom of the distributor with the boost reference line connected.
Thanks Bubba

I found out about the Progression Ignition Distributor's back in Summer of last year (during recovery from a surgery had the down time with nothing to do) they look like they are a quality made unit. This is the link to my old post about them. https://fordsix.com/threads/new-hy-tech-distribitors-for-our-ford-sixs.81606/#post-637087

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
I haven't been able to get on their site beyond the first page in the last few months of recent tries this year, but my I Pad that I like to use is really getting old now and might not have the needed browser support. But last year when I made that above post I was able to access everthing on their site, the coverage for the many Ford engines was extensive. And there was both large and small cap Distribitors avaiable for the 170, 200, 250 Small Block Ford Six'es as well as the 240 & 300 big block six'es. To me the small cap looks so much better but then I have never been a fan of the looks of the very tall big cap DUI / HEI / or other Knock Off Clones that are showing up on so many Fords lately this is just a personal thing I am sure tgat some work fine. I would call them and ask about what they have avaiable.

brnwaxa52

Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I hope this is the proper place to post, If not let me know please. I do have a running turbo 300. After the Power Nation episode of the turbo 300 with 9.9 to 1 compression ratio, 12 lbs boost and 31 degrees timing. I would like to ask questions and take a pole. Question only for those who have actually had a turbocharged 300/4.9 PLEASE Love the PowerNation
What compression ratio

What boost

What total timing

What fuel

What is normal ambient temperature, we see 100 plus here in central Texas

Are you fuel injected/EFI

Are you intercooled

Do you have water methional injection

How long has it been running

Any other factors?

Last edited:

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I hope this is the proper place to post, If not let me know please. I do have a running turbo 300.
Start a new thread in the "Turbo, Supercharger and Nitrous" section.

When you start the thread please tell us what your engine and turbocharger configuration is.
Last time you posted you had 240 rods, JE pistons but had not decided on a cam and turbocharger
Thanks

Last edited:

brnwaxa52

Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Start a new thread in the "Turbo, Supercharger and Nitrous" section.

When you start the thread please tell us what your engine and turbocharger configuration is.
Last time you posted you had 240 rods, JE pistons but had not decided on a cam and turbocharger
Thanks
Thank you very much!!

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Chad
To answer your former question:
The next Powernation turbo 300 video will still use the same large 72mm turbo with a fully CNC ported Promaxx head so it should be a higher rpm dyno run making at least 600 hp if it is done correctly. See post #14 below

InlineDave87

Chad
To answer your former question:
The next Powernation turbo 300 video will still use the same large 72mm turbo with a fully CNC ported Promaxx head so it should be a higher rpm dyno run making at least 600 hp if it is done correctly. See post #14 below

Pat did say they were gonna go for more boost… and if they are still gonna use the same efi throttle body, im betting they are going to push that throttle body and 300 to the limit at 800 hp… but as before im only guessing… if he switches to a holley super sniper 4 barrel i would say he may try for 1000+ hp just to show off how potentially good the promaxx head is

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Pat did say they were gonna go for more boost… and if they are still gonna use the same efi throttle body, im betting they are going to push that throttle body and 300 to the limit at 800 hp… but as before im only guessing… if he switches to a holley super sniper 4 barrel i would say he may try for 1000+ hp just to show off how potentially good the promaxx head is
The Holley Super Snipers have a 2.5 bar Map sensor which limits them to 21.5 psi of boost which is not enough to make near 1000 hp on a 300 six with a Promaxx head.
The turbocharger being used is only good for about 750 hp at a 2.5 pressure ratio.

Last edited: