All Big Six ENGINE POWER 300 TURBO CHARGED EPISODE

Relates to all big sixes

InlineDave87

I thought the 2.5 bar map sensor was good for 29 psi… 🤔 maybe im thinking of a different type of sensor… yea 21 psi doesnt sound enough to make 1000 hp even with the slightly oversized turbo… im only a novice with this stuff, the stuff i know is from watching hundreds of hours of engine power and engine masters… i am looking forward tho to getting some hands on experience… gotta start somewhere

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I thought the 2.5 bar map sensor was good for 29 psi… 🤔 maybe im thinking of a different type of sensor…
Dave
As you know 1 bar or 1 atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi.
2.5 bar would be 14.7 x 2.5 = 36.75 psi absolute pressure
Subtract the 1 atmosphere that is already present and you get 36.75 - 14.7 = 22 psi gauge pressure.

InlineDave87

I was thinking of the 3 bar being good for 29 psi… i didnt know the holley was a 2.5 bar system just that it was good for about 1250 hp turboed

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
The next engine will use the fully ported Promaxx head which flows 20 cfm more than the one used in this video.

As you look at the naturally aspirated video and the boosted video you will notice that engine torque rolls off after 4000 rpm while the large 72mm turbo doesn't make peak boost (13.2 psi) till 4400 rpm.
They will need more cam to bring the torque curve into the peak boost area.

The stock connecting rods will need to be replaced with aftermarket rods.
They can use the new Molar connecting rods or the BBC small journal rods.

Not sure what they will do about the block being .050" overbore?

Then they can run as high as 20 lbs of boost which should make crazy amounts of torque and horsepower.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
The wet sleeve idea is keen if the block was made for it. It's not. Now if you were to push some dry liners in and under bore it; well I think the ceiling could be raised considerably.... pmuller? FTF?
For the show and video a solid filled block would have the greatest strength and would work fine with the short dyno runs.

The cylinder walls are what keeps the block deck and head studs from pulling upward.
If the cylinder wall thickness are sonic tested and find no less than .135" then the cylinders could be sleeved back to 4.00" with a nodular iron sleeve.

Depending on their budget they could simply buy a new block

Last edited:

drag-200stang

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
You big six people are lucky that new blocks are available, that would be best...If new blocks were not available I would try giving up bore size and sleeve it down and move the head over to gain back valve flow...If we are talking about power, I would give up bore size for strength.

MechRick

1K+
VIP
From the last episode I got the impression Pat and crew had a target vehicle for this engine. Can you half fill a 300?

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
From the last episode I got the impression Pat and crew had a target vehicle for this engine. Can you half fill a 300?
I've seen on other engines that had a thin wall where the cylinder cracked under pressure just above the fill line.
New blocks are around $1000 on ebay which isn't a lot more than sleeving all six cylinders on an old block.

They have a new video out with a, cough chevy (sorry). It is big bucks, but how they run/solve the sensor trigger issues are pretty cool.