Evil Considerations and Goals

xctasy

5K+
VIP
Guess what? I'm gonna whack a Ford six in a Cortina based Hyundai Stella.

Have been going through a great deal of old reference stuff from my garage and the public library on carbs, engines and tunning for performance. In addition, I have a vast amount of collected engine parts which I've been measureing up and getting fabrication diagrams for. I really want to do some of this stuff, rather than just planning, planning talkin' rah rah rah.

Lot's of guys in this site want to get right into the performance aspect, but they have to deal with the maintenance cycle of the older vehicles there six cylinder engine is in.

Last year, I came to a crisis point with my 2.3 Turbo V6 Cortina TF, and had to hock it off to a mate. The needed engine rebuild, and some of the chassis mods I was looking at were way beyound my budget. This year, the XE Falcon is to be pessioned off too. It gets zip use from my misses, who now drives a piddly Toyo Rolla. Moving to narrow streeted Mornigton, Dunedin, has made a smaller vehicle a nessesity for her. I've had a look at the Falcon and decided the size counts against it and the chassis is going to need quite an amount of upgrading. The demon rust is getting to the bronze girl, and I want space for my Wade blower, and the spring tower is in the way.

I keep finding Mk 3 six Cortina cross-members and forlorn Hyundai Stellas for nothing. People can't give them to me quick enough. Now Stellas are repulsive items, put onto the road by the same Asian dudes who built ships and Korean made Cortinas. After the Cortina got ditched in 1983, Hyundai made an updated, up-spec version. It's pretty heavy, and is just a Mk 3 TC Cortina underneath with power steering, better suspension, and Misubishi diffs, trans and engines. I've wrecked one of these battle axes two years ago, and used its front suspension in my 82 Cortina and it's kick a$$ tough!.

There is also a lot of space under the hood. The fire wall is double skinned like the Eurpoean Granada and Holden Commodore, and there is the option of shoving a TF Cortina fire wall in it to allow a 4.1 block and alloy head cross flow to fit. The TC Six front end just drops in, and the L300 drive shafts/axles form the Mitsubishi vans fits in the Hyundai diff case, giving screamer diff ratios ( I'm looking at and 5 bolt wheels to suit Falcon XE wheels).

And they are heaps cheaper than four and six cylinder TE Cortinas I've been looking at buying over the last three months. The welding and certification issues are far less than the maintenance woes of dealing with a Ford that has had 19 years in the coastal rain ungaraged. And most of the coastal Cortinas aren't looking good. The other issue, is that one of our cars will have to stay outside, and I draw the short straw.

Don't worry, I'm not going rice. I'm just pulling my pig tails back real tight until I can get my hands on a mint 1980 Mustang in-liner!

Back