Such is the case with most parts made today.P.S. All rubber motor mounts today seem to be of same crap quality, whether from Ebay or the auto parts store & wont last as long as the OEM or aftermarket ones of 20 years ago.
Now this is an excellent DIY upgrade, glad to have it. Thanks!I experimented this week with stiffening my drivers side motor mount because the exhaust (& other things) would rattle when letting the clutch out.
I took that "pin" out (circled in pics below) & put a wheel stud through the hole with a lug nut on other side. Then tightened it to firm the rubber section up.
The 2 other mounts are still soft rubber since I still want the drivetrain to have isolation.
Either way, the firmed up mount holds the motor in place so well that their is a noticeable improvement in the M5OD shifting & throttle response.
I've done a similar thing - on the driver's side (left) only, since that is the one that gets stretched when the engine torques to the right. I used a lock nut so I could put only a very little preload on the stud without worrying about it loosening up.
Similar in function to installing a torque strap or chain.
I wanted to try the black patch that P.B. mentioned, but when I removed the band clamps I found that I had 1/2" gap from one pipe end to the other to my surprise.