F250 351w offroad project

Big six Farmer

I agree with what you say, i always like to get the most for less money. Im never one to just start ordering boxes of aftermarket parts... I used to play around with 400 M engines. I would drag home old Station wagons, or 4 door full sized Fords just for the engine. I was always impressed with what i could get out of one, very used and stock. With just dual exhaust upgrades, and a 500 cfm Holley 2 barrel. But since they were old and used, they would take a beating for only so long... I have always been impressed with the EFI 5.0 engines, mostly the Trucks. When the EFI came out as an option on the 302/5.0 in 1985 on the light Trucks, it kinda blew peoples minds. It felt like big block torque, out of a little ol 302. In late 85 i traded in my Econoline for a new Ford F150. It was just a bare bones 2wd, but with the right options. Had the optional port injected 302, AOD, 3.55 posi rear axle, dual tanks. I drove that Truck for 19 years until i junked it out. It still drove and ran great, but the body rusted off it. I saved many parts... Now im putting the tweeked 5.0 HO engine in my 84 Mustang ragtop. I cut an inch wedge out of the upper truck intake, so it would be lower and lay down close to the valve cover. Getting all that to fit under the hood is a chore. Making up a 82 GT looking fake hood scoop to hide what wont fit. Im building the Mustang to have a late 80s retro look. Make people think it was build then using what would have been around for parts... 80s retro anything is hot with the younger people... Im thinking about getting active on the Four eyed Pride site, since i have one... Sorry i got off the subject abit, i will stop.

BigBlue94

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
I cut my teeth on Cleveland 2V 4bbls and when you get 24 mpg US at 65 mph and flat 14sec 1/4 miles with just headers, an old Competition Cams 268 and a reworked head with forged flat tops, you'll never want to go injected 5.8s.
Sounds a lot like the 4.6 DOHC in my totalled 03 Mach1. 22mpg at 70mph and 13 seconds on the quarter, with no more than hot coils, e3 plugs, and a cat back exhaust.

If reworking that beast for truck use werent so pricey, it would be going in this truck in front of a zf6 just for kicks. Would be better in a go-fast desert type rig.

Speaking of factory quadrajets, I pulled a mint motorcraft 4350 spreadbore off a junkyard 76 460 the other day. Tiny primaries and absolutely massive secondaries! Would be neat for a 300, if it weren't 715 cfm!

BigBlue94

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Look at the difference between a 4160 and the 4350 bores! Holy holes batman!

carb_adapter01_720.jpg