Ford 200 swap

Alternativeroad

Hey All,
This is my first time to this forum so thanks in advance. I'm currently toying with a 67 coupe and want to swap the 200 for a high output inline 6, perhaps turbo charged. Has anyone swapped for another 6 other than the common 300 swap? If so what engine?

I'm also curious about the 3.5l ecoboost.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes besides the 300 Six there have also been Ford 250 six swaps a bolt in since they were offered in the 1969 & 1970 Mustangs stock. Some of the parts are interchangeable such as heads (Check out the Aluminum head from Vintage Inlines fits the 200 or 250 six'es) and like the 200 it can produce lots of power when built right. Also at the far end of of the scale is the Australian Ford Barra Six (a personal hope to do project if possable) they are real popular have been swapped into many of the Mustangs were there are even severial kits made, the Barra engines can produce some very high power levels. I have seen some of the Ecoboost engines being swapped into other projects like a 1956 F100, but don't know of a Mustang yet. Best of luck

Alternativeroad

Yes besides the 300 Six there have also been Ford 250 six swaps a bolt in since they were offered in the 1969 & 1970 Mustangs stock. Some of the parts are interchangeable such as heads (Check out the Aluminum head from Vintage Inlines fits the 200 or 250 six'es) and like the 200 it can produce lots of power when built right. Also at the far end of of the scale is the Australian Ford Barra Six (a personal hope to do project if possable) they are real popular have been swapped into many of the Mustangs were there are even severial kits made, the Barra engines can produce some very high power levels. I have seen some of the Ecoboost engines being swapped into other projects like a 1956 F100, but don't know of a Mustang yet. Best of luck

Alternativeroad

Looking at other posts and forums it seems there's consensus on the 250. I had done a 300 in a f100 in the past and wasn't satisfied. I haven't seen an ecoboost in one of these 67s but I might be up for the challenge. I have seen a few coyotes installed but I like the thought of the 3.5l as it did have twin turbo capabilities. I'll keep you posted on what I go with.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Turns out I was wrong it's a 1955 F100 not much differance except for the Cabs. I think this is the first in the series later videos cover the 3.5 Ecoboost swap.
I haven kept up on how far they got on the build though. We have lots of 300 Turbo builds on the site to, and a new 200 Turbo build under way. Best of luck

Alternativeroad

A buddy of mine has a 69 with a 302 and he is trying to talk me into a v8. I'm committed to the 6 just wondering what others have done. Has anyone dropped in any 6 outside of the Ford family?

bmbm40

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
I have always liked the 67 Mustang body style. You could also turbo the 200 you have.

Alternativeroad

I have always liked the 67 Mustang body style. You could also turbo the 200 you have.
The 67 is beautiful. The 200s have a pretty solid block but even after my machinist works his magic I'm still pretty limited on boost and configuration. I'm leaning towards the ecoboost 3.5l twin turbo like the Taurus SHO.

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
I have the 3.5 Ecoboost in my 2018 F150. It has plenty of power. Have you driven one yet? It would be an awesome motor for a retro build. Good luck

Alternativeroad

Yep. I remember getting in one years ago when Ford pulled away from the v8s in the f150s. A friend bought one with an ecoboost and we razzed him a bit, until he let us drive it. I've loved them since. I'm also partial to the coyote but an ecoboost 67 would be more rare if not one of a kind.