Gen light still on

SteveStang

Hi

The car has been converted over to alternator and to electronic ignition.Car starts just fine but the red gen light still stays on.The way it is wired,I have a 3 wire alternator and did not use the red/black or the black/white that went to the original generator.They are just hanging there but capped.Could this have something to do with the light still on.Like I said,the car is starting fine.The car is a 64.5 Mustang.

Please help.
Thanks
SteveStang

mustang6

1K+
VIP
In an alternator configuration, the "I" terminal on the voltage regulator should be connected to the indicator light. See the diagrams below:

GENERATOR.jpg

SteveStang

Thanks Mustang6 but in my config,I have a 3 wire alternator with built in regulator.I wish I had gone to an external regulator as this seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks Again
SteveStang

62goldenrodvan

I did the same thing as per the diagram (to the tee) with an external reg and the gen light stays on. Any ideas? :unsure:: .
Thanks,
Kevin.

powerband

2K+
VIP
Check out my earlier post - Still no responses... Seems to be an urban myth... Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:33 pm Post subject: Alternator conversion - GEN lite wiring?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternator conversion - GEN lite wiring?

Anyone able to use the original GEN lamp wiring with Alternator/Elec VR conversion from Generator/VR/ Earlier discussion about the "I" terminal on the VR had no positive responses. I get no voltage on the I terminal "off" or while ammeter confirms charging . Wut??.

Anyone get it working ?.

Thanks
Powerband

Bump this!

I just converted to LED dash lights in my '63 Falcon with alternator, external regulator. Before, GEN light would go out, perhaps requiring a blip on the throttle.

Now, it stays on. Nice and bright, too!

Anyone tackle this before?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes I went through this many years ago on a 1956 F100 hot rod pickup build. I found that I needed to find a light blub that had the right Resistance as the engines stock cars alternator light used, to be able to energize the alternator at idle instead of having to blip the throdle all the time. You could also use a resistor in the wire to do the same thing. Good luck (y) :nod:

I just ordered some 560 ohm resistors thanks to another thread that said the Gen (Alt) bulb failing could take the alternator offline. I don't speak electronics, but it seemed that would be a safe resistance to start with.

So I just peel back the insulation at the bulb socket, wrap and solder the resistor across the wires so it's in parallel with the bulb and crosses my fingers? Sounds good?