All Small Six Generator to alternator (3G) on my 63 Econoline.

This relates to all small sixes

Wyowanderer

I swapped in the 200 I bought out of a 78 Fairmont into my van today, but the prospect of installing a 3G alternator has me stumped. I can't use the stock water pump (and I'm not moving the radiator) or its pulley, so I guess I'm installing the generator, at least until I can gather the parts to do it right.
I know how to wire it up, but I don't know what pulley combo to use. A 3G might work witha single pulley, but not well.
How do I install the 3G with a double pulley? Where can I buy the parts?
I'm going to check the damper in the 200, and I'm hoping I can use it and the single pulley pump pulley to install the generator temporarily. If not, I'll be swapping the 170 pulley onto the 200.

Has anyone swapped a 3G into a 200? What parts do I need?

You could use the 1965 up First Generation Alternators is usually plenty of power for most users and easy to hook up. Did you happen to get the Alternator with your 78 Fairmont 200 six that would be easy to hook up and use and they work great? Another choice is the GM 10 / 12 SI Alternators almost a One wire Hook up again usually this is plenty of power for most. There are several site members that have done the 3G though if you really want to use one some with a single Pully and when used with the soft start Regulator works quite well. Good luck

You could use the 1965 up First Generation Alternators is usually plenty of power for most users and easy to hook up. Did you happen to get the Alternator with your 78 Fairmont 200 six that would be easy to hook up and use and they work great? Another choice is the GM 10 / 12 SI Alternators almost a One wire Hook up again usually this is plenty of power for most. There are several site members that have done the 3G though if you really want to use one some with a single Pully and when used with the soft start Regulator works quite well. Good luck
I got the alt. and mount - that's not where I'm stumped. I need to convert over to a 2 pulley drive system. Any idea where I can come up with that?

How about this one? https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/112/10002/-1
Another place to look is on some of the Ford Truck alternators many came with a Duel V Belt Drive's my 1965 F350 with a 240 Six had the Duel Belts
Bubba,
I have the alt. pulley. I need help figuring out the double pulley system on the engine. The Damper on the engine now is a two groove, but the WP pulley from the Fairmont is too deep for the short 170 pump. It would work if I moved the rad forward, but I'm not doing that.
I might have to cut and weld the WP pulley to size, unless I can find a pulley that'll work.

Please don't try cutting and welding your Water Pump Pulley that would be a very bad idea! If you can take some pictures of all the parts that might also save some time. To start with its very simple there is as you noticed two different length's Water Pumps used on the Ford Small Six's a Short one used from 1960 to the end of the 1974 year models, than the longer water pump for use on the 1975 up 200 & 250 Six engine's. The Water Pump that you choose to use is going to determine which of the Front Dress Parts that you must use along with it.

So if you are using the Short Water Pump then you must also use all the early style parts, the Short Water Pump Pulley's, the correct Accessory Brackets, Plus using their matching 1960 to 1974 Crankshaft Dampener and Accessory Pulleys then it will all match up correctly. If your 170 had a Double Water Pump Pulley on it than that is going to be the right one to use with the short water pump. Note that you can't use any of the 1978 Fairmont's Long Water Pump Front Dress Parts with a Short Water Pump! I.E. the Water Pump Pulleys, Brackets, Engine Damper etc. can't be used with a short Water Pump, they just aren't going to line up correctly.

Here is the link to an excellent discussion on all the Ford Small Six Front Dress Parts and Pulleys that need to be used together, at about the 9th post down our long time site member "Chad" did a lot of research on the Double shive Water Pump Pulleys and documented all their Part Numbers. I am sure you will find the right Water Pump Pulley info in that link, best of luck. https://fordsix.com/threads/can-you-stack-crank-pulley-sheaves.82308/#post-645916

"...I know how to wire it up..."
mmm, gen to alt to 3G.... glad ur not using the '1 wire'.
I did the alt to 3G AND pmgr starter & made some mistakes I'll get to this winter.
Ie - omitted fender solenoid (course regulator too). Need to bring back that solenoid I guess.

"...I know how to wire it up..."
mmm, gen to alt to 3G.... glad ur not using the '1 wire'.
I did the alt to 3G AND pmgr starter & made some mistakes I'll get to this winter.
Ie - omitted fender solenoid (course regulator too). Need to bring back that solenoid I guess.
The 3G alt wiring is among the easiest I've ever done, and it gets rid of ten feet of wire. I wired the 3G into my 84 F150 and I wish I'd done it five years earlier.
The only thing I did differently is use 4 gauge wire from the alt output to the Mega fuse holder, and from there to the battery. Evidently copper was pretty expensive in the 90's because FoMoCo sure skimped on using big enough (for me) wire on 3G charging systems.

Installing a 3G in place of the gennie ought to be simple, too. The only "trouble" I forsee is getting it to fit in the doghouse and finding an exciter wire, and both ought to be pretty straightforward.

A one wire alt? Not on my rig(s). I've read many stories about problems with them, and I'd only use them as a last resort.

I'm not sure what you're using a solenoid for - maybe you could share?

Good gravy...
Yesterday I pulled the short water pump off, installed the long pump and pulley, and put bolts in it. I'm going to run it as is and run an electric fan and fan controller.
It's simple, and ought to work just fine,
I'm still not moving the rad support, but if I decide I want to run the 5 bladed fan from the Fairmont, I'll move the rad forward the right amount.
Sometimes I can overthink things.

...I'm not sure what you're using a solenoid for - maybe you could share?
I have lill automotive theory and even less on their ele. systems. I attempted to 3G/mini starter swap (my bronk buds said "Cont to use the fender mounted solinoid.") from oe. But nooo, I didn't listen. Now I have some problems. I kinda copied the other co.s w/o the solinoid. Now problems. I will copy those who keep them in. See the thread(s) here for some of that assistance. I just wanted to 'smooth' the engine bay. Example of enuff knowledge to get mself in trouble.

Back