Great Machine Shop in Maryland

I just dropped off my head yesterday at a fantastic machine shop I found in Hyattsville, MD. Precision Engine Machine Co. 301-779-5808. http://www.precision-engine.com/home.aspx

These guys had every kind of engine project imaginable in there, from a spec miata to a 3000hp Pro Mod. Most impressive, though, was the guy's knowledge of head porting and flow. They have a room dedicated to flow testing with four different kinds of measuring machines, plus another for making molds of ports that can then be imported to a computer for analisys. He was pretty interested in my head, so I'm hoping for good stuff. I'd already done the porting, but he was getting esoteric about how best to design the adapter for the 2V. We shall see. They take pictures as they go.

Of particular interest to those planning on installing a port divider was their spray welding setup. BAsically you heat the cr*p out of the area you want to weld, and then the torch has a hopper with ultra fine powder that sprays into the area. Of course, you get great penetration because the stuff melts into the cracks, so it's perfect for those port dividers.

He also mentioned he can get custom head gaskets to any thickness. Group buy anyone?

cool thats right by me! I may have to check it out.

good to have another sixer in the district :D

Yeah, D.C. is like a desert for car enthusiasts. i grew up in L.A., though, so I have unrealistic expectations for people's interests in cars.

Where do you live? I'm in Mt. Pleasant.

As for the machine shop, yeah, check it out. I'll be posting pictures of the work they do. They're not cheap, but if you ever want to build a smoking engine, that's the place. the head guy there, Jan Norris, has built ford sixes for circle trackers. He teaches classes, too.

sweet! I am in brookland in NE

I think I have driven by your car before 8) my aunt and uncle live in mt pleasant.

For anyone a little further north in MD, Auto Head Machine in Rosedale does fantastic work also. Ask for Chris.

no I'm not sure... I need to have my front bumper done though

Back