Heater core removal on 63 falcon

tudynelson

I removed my heater core today … I have a straight 6 200 ci motor .. some say it might over heat after removing heater core ?? Is this true ?? I ran my car after in 90 degree temperatures outside and it didn’t over heat.. is it safe to run it like that without heater core .. I plan to eventually rebuild it.. but that may take some time . Thanks

Last edited:

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
I think you will be ok under normal driving conditions even with summer air temps if the cooling system is in good operating condition (clean and flows through the core well) it shouldn't overheat without the heater core being hooked up. I have done this many times in the past without any problems, or I would even use manual heater shut off valves so that the hot coolent wasn't circulating through the heater core. This works quite well in hot summer temperatures and when you also don't having Air Condistioning. Yes the heater hoses and heater core all will radiate heat some heat plus it adds to the total coolant capacity cooling system so this can helpful for the cooling systems operation. A heater core can even be used to help cool the engine as an extra radiator in some really extreme driving conditions or an emergency situation such as in really hot weather like well over 115 + degrees air temps and or maybe your also climbing up a very steep grade and you notice that your temperature gauge starts going above the high normal range and the engine is starting to over heat in that case what can you do? Well first thing start getting rid of any extra lad on the engine, by turning off the Air Conditioning system if you have one, slow down use a lower gear so there is less load on the engine and so that the engine is turning more revolutions plus the engines cooling fan and water pump are turning faster circulating the engine coolant through the radiator a little quicker. Next you can also turn the heater on to full and use the fan at highest speed then the heater core also helps to cool down the engine by adding a little more cooling capasity capacity. If that still dosent bring the operating temps down then you need to pull over let the engine idle with hood open to see if the engine temps go down if it still dosent change or even if dose last you would would shut down engine and let it cool down good. I have personally used these methods numerous times when faced with an overheating situation and it has worked good for me, it was taught to me by an old truck driver.

tudynelson

Well I’m in California.. so maybe I’ll just go heater delete .. this is a weekend car . If temperatures are to cold I probably won’t drive the car anyways .. I’m sure there is some heater delete cars running out there ? Will see . My heater will be on the shelf for now . Now I just need some plugs for the firewall heater hose holes and heater motor . I need a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole up on firewall for heater motor ..

Last edited: