All Big Six Help! distributor swap

Relates to all big sixes

TerryAustin1964

I recently swapped engine in my 85 F150 short bed.
My problem is that the distributors are diferant. One is electric advance the other vacume advance.
I curantly have the elec. Adv.in it but want the one with vacume that was on the motor i put in.
Problem is the conector is differant.
Any advice in wireing this in
Number on the tag is 2L. 04. E3TE 12127. TA

InlineDave87

I ran into a similar issue when i put a 300 in my 68 mustang... the car wasnt set up for electronic ignition and i found out oreallys had a points distributor on the shelf for the 300 with vacuum advance... the plan was to eventually put a point eliminator kit on it but the engine ended up being too far gone and needed a rebuild and right after getting the engine apart my wife showed me a magical stick that makes project cars disappear lol... hope this helps a little

Big six Farmer

Look on i think it is ?... Gofastforless.com... Alot of info. on how to wire up odd ignition work arounds. Get your self an HEI Ignition module for like a later 70s Chevy Truck with a 6 cylinder, wire it to your early Dura spark Dist. with the vacuum advance. Mount the module to something to act as a heat sink. Your Truck will run well, and be very dependable. That website will have the wiring diagram you are looking for... I have done 2 Trucks like that, it is easy. The Ignition module for the Chevy Truck is dirt cheap.

Big six Farmer

I bought an HEI module for my 300 six years back. For some reason i bought one for a V8. I cant remember if i just screwed up at the parts store, or thought it didnt matter. My 6 cylinder did not like the V8 module, ( maybe its Bad ? ). I went and got one for a 6 cylinder Chevy, and that worked fine. I saved the V8 one to use on a V8 someday...

Lazy JW

5K+
Staff member
VIP
I bought an HEI module for my 300 six years back. For some reason i bought one for a V8. I cant remember if i just screwed up at the parts store, or thought it didnt matter. My 6 cylinder did not like the V8 module, ( maybe its Bad ? ). I went and got one for a 6 cylinder Chevy, and that worked fine. I saved the V8 one to use on a V8 someday...
Weird. The module shouldn't be able to know the difference. I am running a V8 GM HEI module on my White Ox

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Hi Terry, I would be interested in those Distribtors.