All Small Six Holley float valve hack

This relates to all small sixes

DON

I was just putting my 2300 back together after a little refresh, and when adjusting the float level, the gasket under the screw on top gave up. Didn’t really want to order just that, so I started checking and old metering block for a hole with the right diameter to fit the screw. Presto!! The one in the corner was perfect! A little trimming, Finished with the float adjustment. $0.00. And no leaks 😎

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
Good job! You don't see people making their own gaskets much anymore. Back in my British car heyday I always kept some sheet cork and thin waxy treated cardboard around to do so with. I wonder if the parts stores even carry that stuff anymore...

I got a roll of paper gasket material from NAPA. I have used it for several different applications, thermostat housing, oil filer adapter. I really need to get a punch set for making holes. I have a grommet set with two sizes and use the punches from them for bolt holes. The other trimming I do with scissors and a carpet knife (extremely sharp and replaceable blade)
“The ingenuity of a man is not determined by how many tools he has, but rather how he uses the tools he does have”

Back