I can't seem to find another

Steve68

Hi all.

My car is a 1967 Ford Custom, 240ci, with 3 on the tree manual. Living here in the UK I have never seen, or even heard of, another. Even insurance quotes are difficult as the car isn't even listed in the database. They all have the Custom and Galaxie V8's listed, but no one seems to have heard of the six cylinder model.
When I'm at a car meet or show, I've seen Mustang sixes, and a couple of Chrysler slant sixes, but never another custom with a V8 or six. Every car similar to mine is always a Galaxie.

So, how's the situation "across the pond?" Are the Custom sixes a common sight? I've found a few video's of Custom V8's on youtube, but the sixes seem to be either unloved or ignored.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
I used to have a fair number of these cars back in the late 1970's and early 1980's the years mostly were the 1965 & 1966's but had a 1964 and a 1967. The Taxi company I used to work at had a good sized Fleet of them and as they would re-tire them they offered them to me at a very low cost so I bough them in batches of 3 to 4 to fix up or use for parts. I would see them all over in the SoCal Area I lived in during and after my High School years these cars at one time were very popular for Fleet Service use and also Government use.

Later on when I was Working at Ford at the Pico Rivera Assembly Plant that was one of the Plants that assembled lots of these Big Fords the like the Customs, Galaxies', etc. (and also the Thunderbirds) but to my knowledge the last of the Big Fords made with a 240 Six were the 1972 models. So yes they once were a very common sight but after this many years you won't see them very often. You own a piece of history there are only a few of these Big Ford Cars on this site, I wouldn't mind having another one again, my last Big Ford was a 1954 Customline Sedan with a 223 six and three speed with Overdrive. Best wishes Edited

Steve68

Thanks Bubba. It would be good to compare notes with another owner. I love the simple mechanics and no nonsense spec these cars have. I just replaced all the suspension on mine and it cost more to ship it to the UK than to buy it. Parts are so cheap for US cars.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Your Welcome Steve, I am a big fan of these old Fords and Mercury's of that era plus also have quite a lot of experience working on them. I learned from working on them that there is a great deal of parts interchangeability on those Chassis parts from 1957 up into the the late 1970's and likely even further on the Big Fords and Mercury's.