I have a question on computer/Ignition on 300 I6?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
8)

I was wondering if the 300 I6 with EFI used one of the EEC IV systems.

I have seen several articles in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords where guys are using EEC tuners.

They hook to a laptop and you can reset alot of the specs sucj as injector pulse and width, timing, rpm limit, when cooling fan comes on, etc.

Seems that you could tune a 300EFI system to run good on a 200 or 250.

I would think that adapting the crank trigger from a 300 I6 would be difficult but the rest would be easier.

Im not running EFI but was kinda cay dreaming the idea.

The 300 doesn't run a crank trigger, it has the position sensor in the distributor, so you'd need to find a way to adapt the 300 dizzy to the SB6. The 96s and possibly some earlier years have a misfire sensor built into the damper similar to a crank sensor but it is not. A crank trigger might actually be easier to adapt. As for the EEC tuners they should work fine IF (and this is a big if) they are generalized EEC-IV devices and not 5.0/Mustang specific

Anlushac11,
Why a system from an "I-6" engine rather than a "V-6"?
There seems to be more bits and pieces, EEC tuner included, to mod the V-6 efi/ecu systems from the early 3.8 to the modern. The V-6 went to MAF earlier and in one form or another is still in production with aftermarket parts being developed. The 300 died the year after it went to MAF.
The 3.8 ltr at 231 ci would not need a great amount of mods or possible only simple adjustments to handle the SBF-6s. The BBF-6 may be more of a challenge, but the info I'm gathering is that "super sizing" the MAF sensor, TB, injectors and increasing the fuel line pressure plus the "FordChip" will handle >400 HP.
The efi system does not have to be from an "I" block engine, the computer does not know or differentate "I" or "V". The real problem in the SBF-6s will be the intake manifold, an efi system that delivers precise calculated and measured fuel at the port can not compensate for the differences in airflow to each port within the stock intake. Nor can the manifold meet the potential of a good efi system. :banghead:
Who stole my soapbox?

8)

I am not opposed to a V6. I just was thinking that the 300EFI would be easier to adapt to another inline 6. It was an idea I was toying with. I was not aware how the V6 or I6 received its signal to fire the injectors, whether it was distributor signal or a crank trigger.

But after seeing guys reprogramming their EEC modules with a laptop it seemed possible to reprogram module to work with a 200 or 250 I6.

Back