All Big Six It's a blast - update

Relates to all big sixes

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
So it's even more fun now. About 90% of the driveability issues are solved. I still need to install heat pads on my intake and slow down the timing a bit. I welded the 13* timing notch on the advance plate so it only allows 16* total timing then changed the springs to have all the advance in by 2600rpm. I missed my target a bit and it's all in at 2500rpm so I need to slow it down just it smidge more. Going down the highway my rpm's are about 2200 and a hard acceleration without down shifting to 3rd (and this motor does spin well enough to down shift on the highway) feels like some timing needs to come out. A tad stiffer spring on the advance plate should fix it. My new target rpm is 2800rpm all in at 36*. This corrected most of the low rpm torque issues heating the intake should fix the rest. My oil cooler set up is now working great. I installed bungs in the oil pan sump to accept my oil temp sensor and an inverted flare 3/8" line out to an electric fuel pump. Out of the pump to the heat exchanger in the lower radiator out of there to a Hayden trans cooler then back to the front of the pan for return. This cools the oil without affecting oil pressure in the block. First time driving with temp sensor hooked up my oil temp went slowly up to 250 degrees scared the crap out of me. Turns out the gages ground was not great and once corrected it stays around 160 degrees. I also installed an electric fan out of a Ford SHO and my coolent temp stays around 175*. The way the truck used to drive felt like I was constantly beating on it. Rev the crap out of it shift repeat until desired speed is obtained. Now it effortlessly spins past 4000rpm and you need to watch how fast your going. The advice I got on this site is really helping me get what I've wanted since I was a kid in high school working at a Ford dealership. Thanks

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
remind us of the build details and specs. associated with your efforts on this engine. fo the record
thx

guhfluh

Famous Member
Sounds like fun! šŸ‘

Your oil temp seems a bit cool to me though. Just keep in mind it won't boil out impurities and moisture like it would running 210-230*F like normal and you might want to change it a bit sooner.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
ditto on oil temps, a constant 195 in the pan works . but he is in texas! im told its sometimes that hot outside the pan!
and all carping aside, he made a sincere effort to address a real problem with the truck six.
were it my design i might have a thermostat. and i like ford's oil filter adapter style of cooler, but would put it thru the heat exchanger in the radiator

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
So I got the timing advance slowed down. Now I run 20* initial with a 36* total all in at 2800rpm. Now when I'm idling around in 3rd gear at 20mph I can just step on the gas and drive off. With the truck being an aerodynamic brick it seems like I could use more carb. I'm running two 2100's with 1.14 venturies, chinese knock off's, and I think a pair with 1.33 venturies would pull better on the big end. I haven't found new 1.33's yet. So here's the list.
390 pistons requiring 0.050 over bore
Pistons 0.010 below deck (had 0.030 removed)
Schneider 142H solid lifter cam
Comp springs
3002-7 roller rockers on 7/16" ARP studs
Self ported head with 1.94" and 1.60" valves
Self made tubular intake and EFI exhaust
Pistons and rods balanced to within 1/2 gram

Firepower354

Famous Member
How are you getting the oil for the cooler? It cools then back to the sump? It seems that would take oil from the pressure-hungry parts?

*I will read ALL the words
*I will read ALL the words...

Last edited:

guhfluh

Famous Member
I'm curious what the oil pan temp gets to in normal or heavy operation without the pump running? I don't think I've seen anyone record or report it in a 300. I know the oil normally does quite a bit of cooling in an engine and normally runs a bit hotter than coolant temp.

Big six Farmer

Hey GPGoverMPG... You maybe looking for larger Carbs. ? Get ahold of Fordman 75. Im sure he can hook you up with the Carbs. you want. They would have to be rebuilt of course... He has a pile of them to sell.

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
This is a picture of my oil system. Out of the pan next to temp sensor thru a crude trap to keep the pump primed. Pump is under motor mount. Then the oil goes thru heat exchanger in radiator then into Hayden trans cooler then back to the pan towards the front. Works great and does not involve my engine oil pressure. It's already starting to get warm here in south Texas I'll see if I can get some temps with and without the cooler running. I'm also going to see if I can capture some in cab audio, with and without my exhaust cutout open. It really is a hoot listening to this thing spin up going down the road. Gets me wondering what it would be like in something lighter.

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_115224.jpg
    IMG_20210409_115224.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 43

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
Been awhile since my last update here. I finally have my carbs and timing worked out. It is a lot of fun to drive in the rain it's difficult to maintain traction because it still has lots of bottom end torque. I just hooked up my electric intake manifold heaters that where recommend by Paul. They work great by seat of the pants and made a difference on my AFR gauge. Now I'm looking for a pair of cheap tires that will work on the dyno. No need to destroy my 35X12.50 15s.

View attachment VID_20211120_114810.mp4

Dipstik86

No offense but that thing sounds like it's running on 3 of the 6cyl lol. What is your exhaust situation, if any? Any pics of your intake manifold setup?

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
That sound bite is with the cut out open. I'm running EFI manifolds, two 1.14 2100s on a long runner home made split plenum intake. It's .060 over with 390 Pistons, Schneider 142F solid lifter cam, Smith brothers push rods, and Harland Sharp 3002-7 roller rockers. Ported carb head with big valves. The pistons are in the hole .030 to control compression. The exhaust comes out of the manifolds in 2.25" tubing to a custom y-pipe into 3" tubing then a diesel 3" service muffler then straight out under rear bumper. My old Pixel 1xl sucks at capturing sound. With all the help and guidance I got here it is a blast to drive. My next task is to make some headers. Anyways thanks for the comments and help.

GPGoverMPG

Supporter 2021
Oops Pistons are .010 in the hole. I had the block decked .030. that was about all I could remove and still have good quench. Thanks again

Dipstik86

Do you really need headers though? The efi manifolds flow pretty well from what I've been told and most headers do t gain much I'd anything. What lifters are you running?