All Big Six just brought home a 300 in a '67 f350

Relates to all big sixes

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
good morning, after a long day previous i have here a nearly pristine 67 f350 dually with factory 300 four speed two wheel drive. i bought it by mistake online at auction. a ranch was clearing out after the passing of its owner, and it became mine through a simple oversight and push of a button.

any way i want to have fun with this.
here is the question

start by saying that other than it having sat in one place for most if its life, and the fuel system a mess, it is totally original, down to its oil bath filter

the truck will be either sold ( has anyone looked at prices lately) or ill drive the wheels off of it.

what instant mods should be done to this engine, if any, to increase its efficiency.

rules:
engine stays in the truck.
no removing of large components from engine.
simply maximizing power from what is there.
it currently runs very very good, but will need a tune up. (rocker arm change pushrods etc qualify as modification allowable)
the sole exception to the above rule of removing big components will be the exhaust system will get a work over. its currently a 1.5 " weed burner plumbing pipe / glasspac affair.
a" cowboy fix- it", if i may use that. but im not dissing. when you 50 miles from town you use what is available.
the rig has a service box and a farmer- bilt well rig on the back.

QUESTION : did ford ever sell a service box equipped truck like they did flatbeds?
this box is exactly cab- wide, and is unique in many ways right down to its door handles.

thx all

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
Got pics?

You are on the right track with exhaust - I'd use EFI duals - and 1.75 Chevy rocker arms on the stock cam. That would be the equivalent of an RV / towing cam. Perfect for an F350. Maybe do the stem seals while in there. Skip the screw-in studs for now.

The engine is likely coked up in the intake valves. Heat shock it with a gallon of water sucked in at WOT down the intake PCV port.

Have fun with it. Plans for the drilling rig?

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
ive been resistive to photos in the past simply due to sloth on my part. i should buck- up for this one. its special.

eric- my evil twin, or my angelic twin depending on my behavior, told me he did not notice a PCV on the valve cover.
its daylight now on the west coast; will do a thorough inspection soon.
i use water injection periodically with varying result.
when you do this, is engine at operating temp before beginning the water injection?

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
plans for drilling rig: its actually not drilling but is used for extraction of casing , or in this case, submersible pumps at irrigation or stock watering wells.
thus it has hyd. winch and outriggers that will lift the boom 30 feet vertical. at rest the boom is sucked in and lay over the cab. there is a sheeve at end of boom- mast for cable obviously.

it is built into this lovely service box and will be carefully removed as to avoid damage. the winch is a 20 thousand ,the pto is off the trans.

we took a 5 ton equipment trailer with us and it was overburdened....so its heavy, this well rig.

i imagine some idle time and high rev stationary hours on the engine . mileage , though not knowable, is very low. there is not one scar or dent on the cab of this truck. amazing , really.
even the windshield has no cracks in it.

its important i not F this rig up.
its multi colored patina is actually striking and perhaps attractive after 30 plus summers in the oregon desert sun.
there are two mexico auto insurance stickers, dating to 1975 one older than that on the windshield- charming. and proving that glass , so perfect has been in that truck maybe since new

also there are no wiper marks on the glass proof of its long residence in arid climes.

really i promise to share pics; this is unique.
ive had two offers to buy just on the way back to the shop.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
I know you said no large component removal but we know that the 300 six suffers from too little carburetion.
When the intake manifold is still showing a relatively high vacuum at WOT it is a good indication that the intake system needs to be modified.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
i use water injection periodically with varying result.
when you do this, is engine at operating temp before beginning the water injection?
You do not necessarily have to use the PCV port. Any port to manifold vacuum will do. The engine should be as hot as possible. Go to WOT and modulate the speed by how much water you suck in.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
no forged crank as it is not accompanied by an HD manifold.
if i keep this rig, ( im being pressured to sell it on to the specialty market), it will get a fish carb on the factory manifold. that should cure that bottleneck, leaving aside that there are multiple bottlenecks to cure.

remembering too that in normal driving i will be at 3500 redline.

so high operating temps and juice it with cool water for the effect of steam clean the valve train.
well ok i can try that.

nhford300

if i keep this rig, ( im being pressured to sell it on to the specialty market), it will get a fish carb on the factory manifold. that should cure that bottleneck, leaving aside that there are multiple bottlenecks to cure.

so high operating temps and juice it with cool water for the effect of steam clean the valve train.
well ok i can try that.
Its prolly a aftermarket work box. Ordered truck no bed drove it to work box vender. I agree with efi exhaust. And carb & intake. On powernation build just intake carb header was what 80hp jump? torx increase huge too. Cant recall numbers off top ny head. But Was cheapest power to $ ratio . If you live northern parts plow snow. Find gas stations businesses. Make some good $$$

nhford300

well ok i can try that.
Cheap efi intake . put a big SU car 44mm carb. easy rebuild if not wore out . Wont let me post pic. Prolly find one cheaper in motorcycle parts searches. Well car search too actually

nhford300

Cheap efi intake . put a big SU car 44mm carb. easy rebuild if not wore out . Wont let me post pic. Prolly find one cheaper in motorcycle parts searches. Well car search too actually

Hell mikuni flatslide . This cheap new. You figure out size needed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SU-HIF6-/3...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

65 F-100 pete

Supporter 2021
Hi sdiesel,
I put a pair of efi exh. mnflds on my 240 that powers my '65 F100 2WD. The difference in power is stunning. Still using the Carter 1V carb oil bath air cleaner, points & cond. I made a heat exchanger as can be seen in the pic. Was concerned without a warmed intake that there would be icing. Never happens. Also want to mention...cyls 1,2,3 have their own muffler and tail pipe. Same for cyls 4,5,6. Wanted the least amount of back pressure.
Should say that I changed the transm. crossmember. Used "U" shaped pieces of 1/4" plates in the crossm, so the two exh.pipes would be up high enough...not hit anything sticking up.
Someone did a similar heat exchanger using the threaded plug in one of the efi mnflds, in a previous tread. Saying this so, ifn you don't want to use the heated anti freeze...it is still possible to warm the underside of the log intake mnfld.
Hope this helps, all the best, Pete

Attachments

• IMG-1854 (1).JPG
    IMG-1854 (1).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-1852 (1).JPG
    IMG-1852 (1).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-1853 (1).JPG
    IMG-1853 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
Truck sounds like a wild find, congratulations!

Guy on the Ford-trucks page that told me of this joint ordered his '89 F350 4.9/ZF/D60 truck new.

guhfluh

Famous Member
Fordification.com to run the VIN and tell you if it was ordered as a cab and chassis, which I am fairly sure F350 dually trucks were all considered. I don't believe it will tell you exactly how it was configured though. Martiauto.com for a report that will tell you exactly how it was optioned.

On a side note, for the stock chevy six rockers on a stock Ford 240/300 head - are we certain they shouldn't use longer pushrods for best geometry? I never measured, but felt they needed a LOT of adjustment before contact vs the factory Ford rockers and they seemed to come very close to contacting the spring retainers.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
On a side note, for the stock chevy six rockers on a stock Ford 240/300 head - are we certain they shouldn't use longer pushrods for best geometry? I never measured, but felt they needed a LOT of adjustment before contact vs the factory Ford rockers and they seemed to come very close to contacting the spring retainers.
We are not certain as no one to my knowledge has checked the geometry of the Chevy six rocker arms.
It should be done.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
trying to dot the pic thing.
the truck is a paperless 67 model will check vins there to my knowledge was no tonner pickup in 67 with duals. all were cab chassis i must research deeper, assuming its important to onow these things. this was a cab chassis for sure can does have some brightwork, and a radio, itsolive green originally but many parts like the inside panels of the doors appear to be white. as is the dash area.

Attachments

• PXL_20211018_180920380.jpg
    PXL_20211018_180920380.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20211017_165940470.jpg
    PXL_20211017_165940470.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17