Log external heat dissipation

John_mcgarvie

Hello i have bean trying to figure out how to protect my log intake from getting the heat fron the exhaust you can see from this picture where the blue paint is all gone it gets to hot.
20151130_202524_zps8z5wnug3.jpg
[/url][/img]
Know that being said i have this idea mite be stupid but take a look at this cardboard mock up and tell me what you think.also will be high heat aircraft aluminum.
20151205_215327_zpsxoajga1y.jpg
[/url][/img]

Howdy Back John:

While your idea may help to dissipate surface heat, most of the heat that gets to the intake log is from internal heat transfer. Some here have used heat shields/deflectors, designed to separate the exhaust manifold from the intake. Most have found that such things have only slowed the heating up process.

Some of the more successful ways to minimize heat build up have been/are- a coated free flowing header system, engine compartment venting, more fan along the passenger side.

You might want to invest is an infrared heat detector gun to track you progress. And be sure to keep us posted.

Adios, David

I want her to look somewhat original what is the best way to keep the original exhaust manifold the coolest . Like coating,porting,head to manifold matchup.it can be a different collor but i want to stick with the oe

Howdy Back:

opening the outlet to a full 2' will help a little. I ground off some of the "as cast" roughness of the surface of the exhaust manifold and coated it with a product from Eastwood's. It was a high temp metallic paint. It seemed to not radiate as much heat as before. I don't have proof, just a perception.

Also installing a free flowing exhaust system might cause it to be a little cooler. That is assuming that back pressure adds to heat buildup.

Just some thoughts. Hope it is helpful.

Adios, David

:unsure: Once I restored a 1946 Cad stock it had a black porcelain coating on its exhaust manifolds was a really smooth finish. A ceramic coating might keep it the coolest, think you can get it in a few different colors. Good luck :nod:

Hi On my 65 Ranchero 200 ci I have 11/16 ths inch of phenolic spacer and the heat problem is better but still not cured. David's coating with Eastwood coating may also help. Good luck with it. Randy

Back