Longer lower clutch rod

revolgc

I am finishing a t5 swap froma 3 speed in a 66 Mustang Coupe 200 and my lower clutch rod just barely touches the boot of the fork. I have adjusted the rod out to where it only has 2-3 threads left and is about 8" long. This is what the rod looks like. https://www.cjponyparts.com/acp-lower-clutch-rod-adjustable-289-1965-1966/p/CRL3/

I am using the z-bar linkage, original flywheel, adapternplate from modern driveline and a new clutch. I was able to get the car to go in reverse and 1st gear without a problem so everything is installed properly from what I can tell. I remember someone else had a similar problem with theirs but cannot find that post as to what they did to actually fix it. Looking for ideas on how/where to get a longer rod that will connect to the z-bar. I have looked around and very few of these actually have dimensions in the descriptions.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
The above linked adjustable Rod is for a 289 V8 you will need to get corect longer six cylinder Rod or modify that Rod so it's longer. I think you will need about another inch to 1 1/2 inchs longer to handle future adjustments. You could make one by cutting it near the round end and welding a piece in or find some tubing that you can thread to make a longer sleeve. Best of luck

powerband

2K+
VIP
An old ball bearing welded on rod end worked on my '63 with toploader 3 spd BH and adapter - Depends on which Bellhouse

... also changed pivot geometry so TO rod is about level . Diaphragm clutch needed less push-depth for full disengagement

also could drill Z bar crank for easier adjustment later C7xx type

have fun

Last edited:

B RON CO

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, cut the rod and use a piece of small angle iron as a cradle to extend it. Figure how long you need it under the car, clamp it with vise grips and bring it to a good welder. That's what I did. My son is a much better welder then me so I just gave it to him. Good luck

revolgc

Thanks for all the help. For anyone else that needs it I did determine that the threads were 3/8-24 (Fine Thread) and none of my local hardware stores have rods or bolts with that thread.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
My welding skills are still highly questionable... I did find the roller kit from opentracker. Any idea if that would get me there between the upper & lower adjustable rods or would it also need to be extended? https://opentrackerracing.com/product/clutch-rod-kit-v8-1965-1966/
You won't need to extend or change any of the other linkages (upper clutch linkage Rod) just make the clutch actuator Rod longer. Yes the Open Tracker Roller Kit is great and makes for easier operating clutch linkage along with the Roller Clutch and Brake Pedal is an excellent upgrade if you want to go that direction it reduces some driving fatigue. Best of luck

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
You can figure out the real lenght of clutch Rod you need by making sure the clutch pedal is all the way at the top of its travel (against the bump stop) then measure the lenght you need to reach the throwout bearing arm and have the release bearing touching the clutches pressure plate. Then add about another 1 to 1 1/2 inches of threads for further adjustments the threads should also go the other way another 1 to 1 1/2 inch shorter too so that you have a total of 2 1/2 min to 3 inches of adjustment. Good luck. Edited

B RON CO

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, I think threaded rod from a hardware store will bend. You need better quality steel. Good luck