All Big Six Mike's Mean Maverick - Turbo 300 Six

Relates to all big sixes

Firepower354

Neat article, and car. It's been through a few changes in the decade+ since. Forged pistons, and a close ratio manual trans. Maybe paint and/or owner as well, but the trail is out there.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Someone had done a post with a link to that Car Craft article once that was some years back, plus at that time the Car Craft article had lots of pictures of the car in it. It's not been so easy to do a search on the site to find those older posts back again since the resent site up grade.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
i was a mere lad, a boy, a child not yet with whiskers when ford put that car out. it was held in derision by car "guys" i never understood why. its a fine design, and with my youthful mind i imagined the california special tail lights , side scoops, road armor, it had legs as we say in the horse biz. then, king henry sent it to the gallows....
today, refined re-defined, it would be a road rocket similar to the mustang or capri a totally fun car

powerband

2K+
VIP
Years ago at the 'Dover Reunion" vintage drags at Lebanon Vally speedway I got to see the original 'Magnum Six" Maverick run with builder / driver Clem Lachance (Sp?). With the big inline six running NA , it howled down strip sounding like no other car there. Unfortunately I never got to his line up with my '61 tri-Power 250 Six .

"I'm looking for a 1970 Maverick now. They are not easy to find."

My favorite line at car cruises: "If you had a Maverick back then, then you know why there aren't many around"...

Having never learned to drive an automatic, I looked for a few years for a decent three-pedal Maverick to personalize. My '61 Comet has many driveline, suspension , etc parts from a rotted away but low miles '71 'parts' Maverick - which also yielded a nice 170 / 3OTT which lives in my '63 Wagon with worked cyl head and T5 tranny.

Finally found a low miles 3OTT 1974 which was blessed with a 250 inline, venerable Toploader 3 speed along with 'Park Bench" bumpers and mandated Seat belt / Ignition interlock (already disconnected). A PO added a set of 'Grabber stripes but the solid and rust free body and perfect tan bench seat interior made me very suspicious. Obvious sun damge swath - only on one side - across plastic interior parts and seat belts hints at long time sitting somewhere?. Passenger door repair and sloppy repaint with CC overspray is odd and roof has possible repair?. .. BUT, with the Toploader and anvil strong inline 250, the Maverick makes easy work for serious upgrades. Upgrades added best 'parts from a 76 Comet GT (200auto) that had as typically - rotted further than rescue-able.

'76 'parts'
. .

'74 work in progress'

. .

. .

Maverick was the final evolution of the Falcon and Ford learned many ways to save production expenses on that assembly line by the early 70's. Billboards with $1999.00 Mavericks went up and someone in everybody's family had one. By the early 70's the '60 Falcon (Mustang) based drivetrain couldn't keep up with MPG demands along with new 'modern'hiway speeds and more capable driving foreign entrys at similar prices.

hav e fun

drag-200stang

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
He was a member here and posted here, but did not receive a warm reception for some reason.

Last edited:

BigBlue94

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Ive wanted to cram my 4.6DOHC mach1 engine into a 70 Maverick ever since i totaled the Mach1... Mavericks are definitely not easy to find.

chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
"...not receive a warm reception for some reason...'
I've rec that kind of reception and left the environs myself (never these, 2 others) as well.

Mike lives local and still drives the car (not sure where). I remember the hundreds of rotating assemblies he picked thru to use stock on this race car. Some of the "experts" here told him the times he reported were impossible w/all stock components.
A change (I think frm the CC article) is DSII has now become TFI (as we spoke abt it) but not certain.
I know him more asa chassy set-up guy and covid survivor. I think the Mav is blue. Ck the Oct issue for it under M's Mad Mav.

Last edited:

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
somehow we lost sick 6 from this board for similar reasons, "cant win em all". i guess
You can probably chalk that one up to me.
He did put a lot of thought into that custom cam and I could have been a little more sensitive than to hit him up with a "One Liner"

Last edited:

drag-200stang

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
You can probably chalk that one up to me.
Well now don't be getting your panties in a bunch and go and leave us :cool:...I value your contributions to the forum.
I fell for that load the turbo stuff, but every combo is different and change one thing and it might like something else.
Went 3 tenth's faster changing from 4.56 to 4.88 with a 103'' roll out tire..Being a clutch car it liked this best and a converter could like being loaded more.

Last edited: