Mustango update

Mustango

Lot's of new rubber installed. Air Shocks and new front shocks. Next dual bowl brake cylinder next. Idler arm replacement.
Power steering just got a little rough. slave is not leaking but it needs a new boot as well. Could be the idler arm. Any thoughts?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Besides the idler arm also check out the tie rod ends and steering box condition.

Mustango

The steering box LOOKs in good shape and tie rods are good. There is play in the idler arm as it was when I got it. Been lightly driving it sooo it could be breaking down somewhere.

Mustango

Well it turns out the steering box was in serious need of lubricant. This car was garaged for years before I got it. Seems as power steering came back as before. Not sure if I did any damage but I guess replacing the box with a borgenson might be the best long term solution. Anybody done anything different?

Mustango

With the new dual bowl on the horizon. I notice bore size differences. 1 1/8 15/16 1 " and 7/8 Standard?.
Any thoughts.
Will keep manual brakes on it for a while so that. May just stay with CJ OEM.

I'm all for moving to 4 bolt disc brakes. Finding out you do still have to move to a 15 inch wheel. Then I lose my 14 inch wheel covers. Can you add spacers to the front to allow clearance for the disc caliper? and keep the 1 inch wheel.

Otherwise no sense in keeping 4 bolt setup.
any thoughts?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
So in a non power brake system you can tune the way the brakes feel to you by selecting the right bore size of the master cylinder. Works like this a smaller bore master cylinder has less pedal effort and more pedal travel movement to apply the brakes. A bigger bore master cylinder has more pedal effort and les pedal travel movement. Do you know what bore size you have now? Best of luck

Mustango

So in a non power brake system you can tune the way the brakes feel to you by selecting the right bore size of the master cylinder. Works like this a smaller bore master cylinder has less pedal effort and more pedal travel movement to apply the brakes. A bigger bore master cylinder has more pedal effort and les pedal travel movement. Do you know what bore size you have now? Best of luck
It’s OEM. Not sure yet. Good info. Thanks