My 226/ intro

A

Anonymous

Hey there everybody. It's my first time here, (obviously) so I thought I'd say hi. I wanted to let ya'll know how happy I was to stumble onto a site like this. Most any other site will call you crazy when you tried to tell them that Ford made a flathead six. Much less, help you out with your problems.
I picked up my shoebox '50 Ford a few weeks back. It's a one owner car that has been parked since '74 when the little old lady took out a mail box, and her family made her quit driving it. A few weeks ago, I though oil, a battery, and a fuel pump at this thing and it fired right up. Idles smooth. It's really a pretty tough engine. Anyway, I look forward to picking your brain in the future. Thanks for being here!

Scotty Spoonemore

Hi, Scotty and wellcome. Anything you want to know about Fords flatty inline sixes just ask away. We been running these motors in stock and high performance applications for quite some time now. Did you know that Ford once made an "M"-series 254 cu inch flat six motor?

No. I've never herd of the 254. Did it come in a truck?

I'm guessing there's not much in the relm of aftermarket parts of these things. Am I right?

Yes the 254 came in the F-1 and intermediate light trucks, buses, and CO's

You can find shop manuals for both the car/truck on line at Ebay motors.

Theres plenty of high performance parts out there like Edmunds dual perf; alum intake manifolds/cyl heads/carbs, etc. Got to know where and how to look for the on line. A good source would be swap meets/flea markets. Try this web site for starters: www.vintagespeed.com

Vinny I am sorry to say you are wrong about the availability of the M motor. It was only offered in 2 ton trucks (F-6 and F600) from '48 to '53. It was never offered in any truck smaller and was optional in the trucks; it was the only motor offered in busses but I think Ford sold less than 1,000 of those. Production of the H 226 cube motor ended after '51, but M production continued though '53 because Ford did not have a suitable OHV six to replace the M. Both my M engines are '53s.

Mr Mills, thank you for the history lesson. We learn something every day, dont we? This is what makes this board so great and that we are blessed in a sense to have each other to relate too. Thanks again. Happy motoring and happy holidays, sir.
P.S. Would you like to buy a couple of spare 254's motors from me? I have complete stock motors for sale. Vinny

Back