Build Thread My 66

Ba Mustang

Well there were some complications spraying the clear but she isn't a show car. I may eventually respray the drivers side door because that's where I messed up the worst, good thing white is great at covering up mistakes.

51701926872_bdc3c97110_c.jpg

51701926832_97fb91548b_c.jpg

51703611685_3aa2c03f4a_c.jpg

Ba Mustang

I laid the clear down the Wednesday before thanksgiving and that's all that has really happened. I need to sand down and polish some areas to make sure I don't need to repaint it and then I can finally start reassembly.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Bodywork looks straight with good alinement and gaps, I think the paint job turned out excellent.

Ba Mustang

The issue is mainly junk in the clear. When I did the wipe down before spraying clear I ran out of good paper towels and used what I had laying around. Didn't tack cloth it because I didn't think I needed to. Noticed a bunch of paper towel pieces all over but thankfully they blend in fairly well with the white paint.

I also messed up the passenger side roof stripe somehow. I somehow made it 1" narrow on the backside, I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed. So the drivers side is 10 1/8" and the passenger is 9 1/8" at the rear window.

Rinke

Wow that is a stunning change. You sprayed yourself?

Now Comes the really fun part. Assembly!
Good luck, Rinke

Ba Mustang

Started working on the headliner finally, maybe I will get it glued in place this month.

51876053535_f973a6965b_c.jpg

We also found an old polaroid camera at my grandmothers so I snagged a picture. If it wasn't for my F150 you could probably pass it off as a picture from the 80s.

51876053695_96363871e9_c.jpg

Rinke

Installing headliner sucks, I hope I never have to do it again.
Yours looks pretty straight well done.

Rinke

Ba Mustang

Installing headliner sucks, I hope I never have to do it again.
Yours looks pretty straight well done.

Rinke
Worst part was the back section between the quarter window and rear window. I gave up on it and said it was good enough, have some wrinkles in that area on the roof portion.

Rinke

Yeah, I have the most wrinkles in the cargo area.
Turned out the rearmost headliner bow attachment points were damaged and the bow would not get proper tension. We looked at it and also decided it looked pretty dang good for a first time.
Sometimes you have to accept your limitations.

Ba Mustang

Yeah, I have the most wrinkles in the cargo area.
Turned out the rearmost headliner bow attachment points were damaged and the bow would not get proper tension. We looked at it and also decided it looked pretty dang good for a first time.
Sometimes you have to accept your limitations.
I figure most people won't notice the wrinkles at the rear of the headliner so I didn't consider them a big deal. I also skipped the retaining rods on the last bow because I couldn't find the new ones I had ordered.

powerband

2K+
VIP
RE rear bows:

Difficult with overhead and restricted space work, the side slits (listings) needing cuts in bow pockets is where experience really would help .. .
Without removing windows, I used an added 'molding' to conceal glued window area. ('molding' is black foam garage door seal - handy for many applications)

When I replaced '61 't-Bird" roof headliner, rear most bow had two additional thin wire supports from rear window metal flange to the rear most bow. This held rear bow in place at proper position.

. . .

. . .

have fun