Need a starter for a 4.1 XD in the US

xflowecono

76 4.1 XD with C-4 auto gearbox, stock exhaust manifold
The parts suppliers in the US don't list anything for a six that resembles the correct starter. Everything they list is the seperate solenoid clapper type.
Can anyone supply me with a vendor that will ship one of the starters to the US. Or better yet, anyone in the US have one they want to sell?
A manufacturer and part number may help me locate one in the US if someone has that information.

Help if you can please.
Thanks in advance for info
David

have you tried a US starter? the bell design between the two motors is very similar (the XFLow is just a scaled up 200 bell pattern)

lemme dig around...I might have a stock 3.03 trans starter for a 200 and I could match it up to the xflow bell and see what it looks like (2.77 3.03 and Automatic starters are all different on the 200...the difference being snout length)

x-flow fairlane
Thanks for your response.
I have tried US 170/2.77 200/3.03 and C4, 250/C4 and SBF starters for both manual and auto flywheels and all of them seem to not mesh correctly. I don't think any of them have the correct positioning for the Aussie C4 bell and flywheel combination. They also tend to get hot and draw way too many amps trying to start the engine when it is hot or cold. Probably due to not correctly engaging the flywheel teeth. Hopefully the original Aussie Ford Bosch design should fit and work much better in this application if I can get one from Oz or find one here in the US.

Heres a Australian Bosch number:-9330061106 Reduction drive modern starter.
And ford aussie:-1R2314001-AA
Here all the 6 cylinder starters are the same all the way back to 1960.
A7M

Couldn't locate one in the US. I purchased one from Ringwood Auto Parts, Melbourne, Vic. on ebay.au Shipping took two weeks and the total including freight was $220.00 AUD = $167.00 USD. Really not that bad of a price considering it is a new starter.
Haven't had a chance to install it yet. Thanks to everyone that posted a response.

David in Dayton, TX USA

I ended up with Xflowecono's engine - but without the starter. There are none of the common Bosch units in the US that I can tell, the BFX456 or 129, and the US mini starters that fit fords, the solenoid hits the block before you can clock it to bolt it in.

I searched this forum and others, just wanted to drop a note, a powermaster 9603 works great, I had to install the spacing ring to get the 1/16" clearance, but I adjusted the clocking for clearance and it works great. The local hot rod shop didn't carry the 9103, it is 3 position adjustable for clocking, like $80 less, and may work? I don't know. These have 11 tooth gears, and I wonder if the 9106 or 9606 for an FE, with 3 bolts, would work even better??? I just know the 9603 works just great and it may be in stock near you.

Back