Need Tires For My Newly Acquired 1963 Falcon

TheDude

I brought it home last night and the drive was terrifying. The owner didn't have a jack tall enough to let me switch the rear tires with my 14" rims which had better radial tires on it. One of the rear tires on the Falcon was on old bias ply with half the tread worn down completely and the other tire wasn't much better; it only had three lug nuts. It was a nerve-wracking drive home for forty minutes. Half of it was on the highway.

I plan to put 14" wheels on the Falcon. I put 14" wheels with the thin whitewall tires on the rear today, and I like the look. I think I would prefer it over raised white letters or a black sidewall. Where can I find the thin whitewall tires? I'm not paying $200 for one tire, like I see on Coker Tire or Diamond Back. I'd like to cap my budget at $400 for tires. What is the tire size limit for 1963 Falcons?

Also, what Falcon wheel covers came in 14"? I guess I won't be able to use 1963 wheel covers on 14" wheels, correct? Were they all 13", or were the Sprint models 14."

Thanks

TheDude

Now I'm thinking about raised white letter tires. I have a lead on some 14" four lug, five spoke Cragars and the RWL tires would fit that style, not the whitewalls. I will probably go with 205/70R14 BFG TA's.