Oil Pressure needs.....

gus91326

Supporter 2018
Hey guys- I am working on adding a GT35 turbo to my VI headed motor. I have been reading about turbo oiling requirements and wanted to get some wisdom on this.

Around oiling in general, I am modifying my stock pan to a "T" pan and will be adding some small baffles as I track the car occasionally. I have a small oil cooler that will also be used in my build.

My turbo is a journal bearing setup; my oil pump puts out about 15-18lbs warm at idle and goes up to ~35 lbs by 2000 rpm. Can I assume that the stock oil pump is ok for use in this application?

Does the oil pressure go any higher than 35 PSI? That is bit low to do any track racing. Good luck (y) :nod:

Yep- 35 or a little above. I had asked before and was told that normal. I’m with you- I’d prefer to be closer to 50 psi.

Splitting off the Oil Pressure sender port no drop in pressure noticed with a turbo or supercharger setup. Typically the oil feed line is small and the compressor turbo or SC will still have enough supply pressure and volume.

With fairly low oil pressure of 35psi at bypass rpm, might try thick dyno oil like 15/40 to see if it helps pressure when warm. Low pressure usually is a indicator of bearing issues not pump.

have fun

small block six oil sender port with SC oil feed, Oil Press sender, OEM oil press sender, Fuel pump interlock safety swx on air hose manifold.

Thanks for the info! As a follow up i went back to look at some in car video and the pressure is closer to 40 psi. Its been that way since I built the engine.

When you rebuilt the engine do you remember what kind of bearing clearances you had? If it's on the loose side then you could shim the oil pumps pressure relief valve spring to raise it some. There is also a Hy Volume oil pump that can somtimes work. Good luck (y) :nod: Edited

AK Miller was adamant that a separate non bypass filter was used before the turbo.
What I did, I have to use a 90degree oil filter to clear my rack and pinion steering shaft..I ran a line off the filtered side of the adapter to the turbo filter and then to the turbo.
What I also do is run a line form the filtered side of the 90 adapter to a tee at the rear oil port for the oil pressure sender and back feed main oil galley..I do this because the oil gallery is drilled to intersect the half of the lifters bore to oil them.. The gallery is also drilled in from both ends and by the time they get to the center, sometimes its off and the lifter blocks a good part of the passage..I feel that this mod insures better oiling to the rear main and the thrust bearing.
This may not be for all, but the blocks I use have worn lifter bores leaking extra oil, larger bearing clearance and maybe piston oilers down the road.

drag-200stang":1fjpjqwt said:
AK Miller was adamant that a separate non bypass filter was used before the turbo.
What I did, I have to use a 90degree oil filter to clear my rack and pinion steering shaft..I ran a line off the filtered side of the adapter to the turbo filter and then to the turbo.
What I also do is run a line form the filtered side of the 90 adapter to a tee at the rear oil port for the oil pressure sender and back feed main oil galley..I do this because the oil gallery is drilled to intersect the half of the lifters bore to oil them.. The gallery is also drilled in from both ends and by the time they get to the center, sometimes its off and the lifter blocks a good part of the passage..I feel that this mod insures better oiling to the rear main and the thrust bearing.
This may not be for all, but the blocks I use have worn lifter bores leaking extra oil, larger bearing clearance and maybe piston oilers down the road.

interesting, this is for the small block ford? Or the 300.

The pre filter for the turbo is often overlooked and shouldn't be

sdiesel":3agcxe5m said:
drag-200stang":3agcxe5m said:

interesting, this is for the small block ford? Or the 300.

The pre filter for the turbo is often overlooked and shouldn't be
For the small six. :D

Back