One wire alternator.

Old School Trucker

Looking for a good quality one wire alternator for my 78 Ford F100 300. Mount to adjuster bolt holes 8" apart and mount lug thickness is 3". Any suggestions. I don't have any sig. electrical load. No radio. No elec. fuel pump or fan. Still running old school headlights. Thansk.

Big six Farmer

In an old magazine i saved here, has a very good article on how to use a newer Ford 3 G alternator on older stuff. It is from Hot Rod Feb. 2019... Shows what years of newer Ford cars that have the correct mounting ears. They say to get a Alternator from a parts house, get the wire loom out of the Junk yard...Lots of good pictures and info... They put one on a 66 full size Ford Car, which would be very much like your Truck. Even the pulleys swapped over... Or you could just get a one wire Delco like the guys buy for their Street rods... But that swap would be more obvious, if you cared.

Old School Trucker

In an old magazine i saved here, has a very good article on how to use a newer Ford 3 G alternator on older stuff. It is from Hot Rod Feb. 2019... Shows what years of newer Ford cars that have the correct mounting ears. They say to get a Alternator from a parts house, get the wire loom out of the Junk yard...Lots of good pictures and info... They put one on a 66 full size Ford Car, which would be very much like your Truck. Even the pulleys swapped over... Or you could just get a one wire Delco like the guys buy for their Street rods... But that swap would be more obvious, if you cared.
It has the newer 3G alternator on it now. Going for the super sanitary look on the motor. Will look for single wire.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
This company has the one wire alternators in many case finishes.

Old School Trucker

I checked with Tuffstuff. My alternator is 8" hole to hole with a 3" mount boss. Their 1 wire has a 6.875" hole to hole arrangement. I'm sure I can fab a bracket to use or maybe just tweak the one I have? Any thoughts.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes you should be able to make a custom bracket easy or just tweak the bracket you have using a spacer to align the pulley postion. Used to put the old GM S10 alternators (converted to one wire operation) on many engines from cars, trucks, tractors, to construction equipment, usally didn't take very much time to fit them.

Old School Trucker

Found a one wire alternator that is a direct fit for my application. Powermaster part number 7781. It is a 3G style unit with internal cooling and a traditional V groove pulley. The bolt to bolt center is 8.11 and the mounting boss is 3" thick. 140 amp for me. Higher if needed. Thanks.

BigBlue94

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Found a one wire alternator that is a direct fit for my application. Powermaster part number 7781. It is a 3G style unit with internal cooling and a traditional V groove pulley. The bolt to bolt center is 8.11 and the mounting boss is 3" thick. 140 amp for me. Higher if needed. Thanks.
I just installed a 200 amp 3g powermaster on my 85. Not one wire though

My bracketry would work for the 6.875 or 8.125" mounting ears.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Excellent reasults and easy install sounds like a real good combo!