All Big Six Ordered the Scorpion 1059 Roller Rockers

Relates to all big sixes

efloth

Look like a winner? The 3/8" pushrods aren't touching but are pretty close. But then again so we're the stock ones.

Springs and retainer should be here tomorrow.

Hoping to get a decent gains with this setup vs stock. What should I expect? Stock rockers were worn pretty bad so that in and of itself should be an improvement. 10hp a reasonable expectation? Higher rpm? It used to go flat past 3k

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
The extra valve lift will increase torque through out the entire power band.
You will have to tell us how much more since you will be the first one reporting on the Scorpion rockers on an EFI engine.

efloth

I'll keep you posted. I am not totally stock otherwise. I was mechanically stock until these valve train upgrades.

The siemens deka 80lb injectors made a pretty noticable difference in low end acceleration. I have the k&n intake, magnaflow cats and gibson 2.5" exhaust. I am running E85 and will be updating the fuel tables to compensate for the additional valve lift. Spark table has been updated to make better use of the 105 octane fuel.

Fuel economy is down 12.5% but costs 25% less per gallon. Fun times with the 300 and saving money at the pump! I guess I should have it dyno'd when it's all said and done.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200529_181335.jpg
    MVIMG_20200529_181335.jpg
    12.9 MB · Views: 7

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021

efloth

They are fine. Motor doesn't really use oil. I was just thinking they are a cheap item to replace since I am in there. Do they just pop off and on to replace normally?

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
They are fine. Motor doesn't really use oil. I was just thinking they are a cheap item to replace since I am in there. Do they just pop off and on to replace normally?
Yes They should just pop on and off. Try just replacing one first to see if the new ones fit OK.

efloth

The ones linked above are just boots that fit over the existing seal. It is not a new seal. Nothing like what is installed currently. These fit nicely over the whole guide/seal assembly though.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
The ones linked above are just boots that fit over the existing seal. It is not a new seal. Nothing like what is installed currently. These fit nicely over the whole guide/seal assembly though.

Those in above picture are the factory type valve stem seals that Ford used for many years. If you have the PC seals that are pressed onto the top of the valve guides then you wouldn't need them however you need one or the other. Picture's of them on your head?

efloth

The picture is just a top down view. It is just a flimsy boot that fits over the stock seal. I'll send pics this evening.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
The picture is just a top down view. It is just a flimsy boot that fits over the stock seal. I'll send pics this evening.
Yes those pictured in above link as well as the ones in your hand are the stock type Ford valve stem seals that were used on all most all the Ford OHV engines starting back on the 1952 six and later. They are were also called umbrella seals they work fairly well, so we'll that some of the chevy guys started to use them too. As the oil is running from the valve train above down its sheds the oil off the valve stem and moves it out far enough that it dosent go down the valve guides. If you wanted better seals you would need to machine the
ends of the valve guides and a PC type seal. Good luck

efloth

Yes those pictured in above link as well as the ones in your hand are the stock type Ford valve stem seals that were used on all most all the Ford OHV engines starting back on the 1952 six and later. They are were also called umbrella seals they work fairly well, so we'll that some of the chevy guys started to use them too. As the oil is running from the valve train above down its sheds the oil off the valve stem and moves it out far enough that it dosent go down the valve guides. If you wanted better seals you would need to machine the
ends of the valve guides and a PC type seal. Good luck
16160357453929206959322243353712.jpgI am throughly confused. I don't think this valve cover has ever been removed until now.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Ok sorry about that with yours being a EFI engine so it comes with the better press on type valve stem seals on the end of the valve guides gives much better sealing. Because you have those kind of valve stem seals you don't need to use the older umbrella type seals ever. Good luck

efloth

Ok thanks. I just left them as is since I couldn't source them locally. Here is the new springs and retainers installed 🙂

Attachments

• 16160423531075401977569684540836.jpg
    16160423531075401977569684540836.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33