Piston & connecting rods

MechRick

1K+
VIP
is there any reason I can't install the press fit pins at home?
Why yes, you can. I use two propane torches facing each other, an infrared thermometer and gloves. It's a good idea to build an adjustable pin stop so when you slide the pin in it locates quickly. You only have about two seconds before it grabs. 430-460 degrees on the small end is what I shoot for.
-It's nerve-wracking, because if the rod grabs the pin in the wrong location you'll have to build a fixture to support the piston so you can press the pin into location without breaking it.
-I built mine to use the slots on a mill table, but a drill press table would work as well.

-i realize you don't need to press pins now, but thought I would share the information, considering the title of the thread...

Last edited:

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
nice
Do you insulate the top of the piston from the mill table to keep the heat in?
Do you press the pin by hand or use a use a ram?
Mentally filed away for future use.

Stick-on temp tabs might be useful to determine piston temperature.

EDIT: I meant to say ..."to determine rod temperature".

Last edited:

MechRick

1K+
VIP
I heat the small end of the rod to 450ish degrees, then hold the rod small end between the piston pin bosses and slip the pin in. I honed the small end of a junk rod for a slip fit on the pin to check setup and adjust the pin stop. You can't see it in the picture, but there's a quarter inch oil pump driveshaft clamped in the mill chuck that's inserted in a hole in the strap steel on the mill table. I run the table to the right to preload the strap steel against the top ring land. That holds the piston in place.