slo growth 170/D20/3.03 to 250/D20/NV3550

chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
silly cone heater hoses showed up. Found a bracket to hold extended lines over onto inner fender. Boss gotta remove regulator there (I have no idea where to cut/keep those wires) so my air intake tubing & hoses can rest in place. Gotta 'cool air intake tube' frm '73/4'n above bronk. Need to get the oe 2 x 4 hole cut in the core support as I got an earlier model body - for the air behind the headlght. Grill (whole side ta side body wrk - ties fenders together) still off. Several daze wrk to it (fancy 'ford' ltrs, new H4 buckets, smoother 1st 3 yrs turn sigs, and my much admired 'grill surround chrome' need to go on). That's over 50 holes of precise size & placement ona entirely chrome piece. Hadda get it that way just to get the actual grill itself, chrome. I need to body-color-cover the rest (3/4 - 5/8th). Know how to paint chrome? I think I do but aint certain, never did B4. As a 20 yr house builder I love attention to the entry, frnt door, etc. "First Impressions'. I think same applies to a vehicle. A lill time, talent, treasure there will pay off handsomely~

Post back. This aint a build thread but a stumble'n fumble where I ask Qs, am open to other's solutions, a;ternatives, assistance and comments. Thnx 2 me buds who gave props ;^ 0

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Glad to hear of your progress Chad! If you really want to paint the chrome then it needs some tooth by sanding or light sand blasting can work too. Dose sound interesting or you might find somebody that wants to trade you those stock steel parts that were only painted. When are you going to post some pictures of all your hard work on that early Bronco?

chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
"...post some pictures...'
Boy, do I luv pic. But...don't have the technology. Plus brain's full, don't wanna learn.
But develop this add-on soon. May B 20something da can walk me thru to ease the pain...

"...sanding or light sand blasting can work too..."
Thnx.
&
yup, I got the 2 stages of proper grit. Also some pre treatment to help the paint stick.
"Trade steel parts that were only painted". Unsure of the meaning. This is something I aint seen in 40 yrs of internet use. I gota oe grill or 3. This one's had some money put in it. Will not trade it off for unobtainium (it IS the ultimate) . The others will B given away or sold soon. m ay B say it ina different way to get thru this thick skull~

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Sure would be glad to help you learn to do the picture posting. Oh LOL I thought you were just wanting to cover up all that chrome with paint.

chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
Gotta follow 'the bosse's' lead on wiring/auto ele. I can figure 'mechanical' but at a loss in this department. He's got 50 yrs experience. Altho I've had the rig 40 yrs a garage had it B4 me. What Scott (that 2nd owner) did to it was removed by my 1st helper (a restorer w/decades experience). Removed 4 or 6 rockers w/a relay each. It's been fine as a basic woods worker. Now to swap to more street - gremlins show up. Where to start? New fuse box? Only 7 or 8 wires come into this one. Early manufacturers seemed to rob power where ever they wanted further down the line(s).

Some need to go back over the starter/alternator instal. (Boss eliminated solenoid).

H2O temp sender installed. A 'brown' wire was connected to a white (2 different gauges). Seems an ol ford standard was 'purple' = power. I think the 'brn' was actually an ol faded 'purple' as I now see it at the fuse bx.

We gota well known cluster restorer in the bronk world (Kevin). I made this rig from 4 and have an extra cluster. I'll send both to "Classy Gauges' in Utah. THAT needs grounded thru the dash (ford used the same bolt as 1 from the motor on the other side of the firewall). Like to put one around the motor mount bolt (rubber insulator means a grnd needed there from motor to frame).

Some wrk on new rear leaf spring install. Remove ol 2 inch blocks & truck-like stiff springs - install softer with the 2 inches built in.
Silly cone heater hoses arrived. Want to stretch them over the pass's wheel house ona chevy clip, where the ol solenoid was. This avoids the header heat, makes a nice gentle (to the eye) arch.

Now I have room (same general area) to run a fresh air tube from Matt's carb hat to a late model bronk tube running behind the battery to core support. As that did not come till '73/4 I need to saw a rectangle thru to match. May go w/a blk 3 inch by 3 foot as I Do Not wish to use alu/alloy - "shinny" to run back to the carb (16 inches over/from the headers). Connecting to the rectangle may have been solved. Must do so B4 the grill ( it's 'all the way acc', holds hood release, hdlghts, turn sig and 'F O R D", ties in the R/L fenders. As above, it's entirely chrome. Wanna leave it so just 'inner', tiny (actual grill) is chrome. Bought big, colorful ford ltrs, ol style (smoothed) turn sigs, and one of my donor rigs hada shinny 'grill surround' (alu but polished - looks SS). Bout 1/2 inch wide. This means I need to place 64 holes in the grill, fairly precisely (8 or 10 for the 'surround', 8 for the "ford", etc...

Only 1 maker of AGM battery w/side posts only (Diehard was bought by Advance a few yrs ago) could B found. Bought a lug anvil (15$) and made up all my connectors w/lugs. Found some chebby truck-style terminal extenders w/the bushing/bolt. Multi lugs fit on there nice (still room for the winch later). May puta lill Honda battery (in sequence?) behind the other headlight to match the Diehard).

All-in-all some progress. Now as is typical here, to go back and fine tune. How thin are the starter shims? Where to purchase?

Last edited:

chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
between parts runnin, yard work (I refuse to let the boss lay on the ground out there, kneel in the hot sun on the dirt, etc) and the 4 days offa wk I missed a phone call. Boss told the OEM fuse box vendor wrong yr so got a 'pre-transition' yr box for 'post transition' vehicle, Not only that but he's only a step better'n me on auto wiring ( well may B 2). Kinda stuck here fora while. Got the softer leaf springs ona sale to put in, more tinkerin under the hood w/carb hat and 'grill work". As a builder who put myself thru hi-skol, college'n grad skol private home construction / contractor I all ways thought an impressive entry way (frnt door itself @ the least) was important. The bronk I figured same. So there is some real wrk here.

Need to remove chrome from 3/4 of "the grill". These havea front fended-to-fender piece to hold lights, turn signals, tie body together for strength, cover radiator, etc. I will leave just the center chrome (an actual grill btwn lights on avatar @ left) and after removal of the "slippery stuff" - paint body color. That's not the 1/2 of it: a garnish goes all around @ a circular angle change (paint change on either side) adaptors/turn signals (1st 3 yrs), blocky 'ford' ltrs, H4 headlights...I think I counted some 75 holes I need to drill of 6 different sizes in fairly precise locations. Also need to cut the core support (radiator hanger, 1st body mount location) to mount the fresh air tube for Matt's carb hat extension B4 re-mounting it.

Will there B time for all this come winter? Right now is daily customers and 3 engine builds. THOSE come slo as our machinist is in the retiring process. Kit just arrived for one - turboin a lill Zuk 4WD. Is it a Geo or sompin? Just a few lbs pressure, sompin to show-off to his buddies. Needs to impress~