All Small Six Sniper 1100 going on a '63 170. I have questions...

This relates to all small sixes

gocorcoran

My '63 Comet S-22, 4 speed is pretty much a year round driver. (I'm putting the studded snow tires on later today)
I was weary of the Load-a-matic distributor. I bought a Davis Unified Ignition distributor a couple years ago and modified the 1100 to work with it's real vacuum advance. However the Autolite 1100 was just plain worn out. I tried an '69 1101 carb. I could get it to run great engine cold or run OK engine warm, but never great all around. Gave up. Went back to the old 1100, but it still needed to go away.
Enter the Holley 1100 Sniper. But in the last 2 years I have managed to loose my Davis paperwork. I "think" I can use the Holley wiring instructions for a GM HEI distributor, which means taking the tach signal off the distributor as the yellow wire "Coil (-) input" connection top illustration below:
Has anyone here used a Sniper 11 with the DUI ignition? Does this make sense. I don't want to fry the computer in the Sniper at startup.Screenshot 2022-12-10 114346.jpg

Last edited:
As you know the tach signal is the "Coil (-) input" connection.
It a very "dirty" signal and is not recommended as a trigger signal for the Sniper even though the Sniper instructions show it as a possibility.

The Sniper is set up to work with the HyperSpark Distributor # 565-315 in which case you will program the ignition timing through the Sniper 1100.
The best thing to do is to get the Holley Sniper EFI HyperSpark Distributor Kit for Ford 144-250 I6 #565-315K.

The best thing to do is to get the Holley Sniper EFI HyperSpark Distributor Kit for Ford 144-250 I6 #565-315K.
Thanks, but sadly, from what I can tell through on line research and pulling the distributor and looking at the block on my engine, the distributor gear/oil pump shaft opening in the block for '63 and earlier 144/170 is too small for the Holley Hyperspark. It was a special order from DUI to get one suitable for a '63 170. That's why I went the direction I did, it was the only one I could get... There is no mention on the Holley site about an option for a hyperspark that will fit in a 60 - 63 I-6.Screenshot 2022-12-10 132341.jpg

Since the DUI distributor is a custom order, you should keep it.
You can try the Sniper using the Tach output from the DUI.
If it doesn't work well then you can add the MSD 6A to the DUI distributor and use the tach output signal from it.

See page 14 of the MSD instructions.

Last edited:
OK, I'll report back how it works directly off the DUI tach output in a week or two. (I actually didn't know it was a dirty signal, learned something new)

OK, I'll report back how it works directly off the DUI tach output in a week or two. (I actually didn't know it was a dirty signal, learned something new)
I looked back through some of the forums and the problem with the HEI triggering the Sniper centers around using the Sniper to control timing with the HEI.
Most say using the HEI tach signal will work if you let the HEI continue to control the mechanical and vacuum advance

Back