Starter continues to try and start engine.

Tighthead123

Hello!
When I start my 65 Mustang the starter keeps trying to start/turnover the engine even when I turn the key off. I have to pull battery cable to stop it. So far I have replaced starter and the two wires connected to the starter. Ground and one from solenoid. Replaced the solenoid. When key is turned to start, I do not get 12 volts at the S terminal on solenoid. Replaced ignition switch. Would the neutral safety switch cause this? What else is between ignition switch and solenoid that could be faulty? Not sure where to check next. Inline 6 200. Thanks.

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, the Ford starter only has one wire, from the solenoid. I guess someone added an extra ground.
So you have a test light or a meter and when a helper holds the key to start there is no current at the S terminal.
You could try the test in park and neutral.
You could also jump the solenoid by using a heavy screwdriver and touching the s terminal on the solenoid to the positive battery post on the solenoid. Make sure the car is in park because it could start. This will tell you if the battery, solenoid, and starter are working.
If the trouble is by the ignition switch I would have to poke around with my test light by the ignition switch to see what's going on.
Good luck

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Welcome to the Ford Six forums, did you test the voltage at the battery thermals and at the solenoids battery post Posative side? Did you test the voltage at the ignistion switch? Do you have a good ground from the engine block to the Mustangs chassis? Good luck (y) :nod:

Econoline

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2018
Yes, the nuetral safety switch could cause a no starter condition. There is nothing else between the ignition switch and the solenoid.

jamyers

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2019
Wait a second, sounds like 2 opposite things going on...
1. Starter keeps turning the engine after the key is released,
2. No voltage at the "S" terminal on the solenoid with key to "start".

So...if there's no voltage at the "S" terminal, how is the starter starting to begin with?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
OP also posted this over in the electrical forum, he has trouble with a number wiring connections. :nod: (y)

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
:beer: Success for OP! He has now found the last problem In the wiring, it was back feeding. (y) :nod: