All Big Six Streetable compound boosted 300

Relates to all big sixes

Came across this today. An individual built a 300 with an m112 supercharger and a gt35 turbo. Build looks clean and it's installed in the truck. No dyno runs though. To be clear; not my project. There user has a few other videos of the engine outside of the truck.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
thats Dale out of Wisconsin. he's done an awful lot of clever builds.
this one just kinda never went anywhere in terms of follow up postings. ive been hoping to see further development.

his stuff is boss.

InlineDave87

Well thats one way to get higher boost at lower RPMs. Its definitely a clean build, i wouldnt have gone that way but im not the one driving it either. Im thinking of eliminating my hydraulic power steering and getting an aftermarket electric power steering set up. Ill be able to eliminate the winy noise under the hood, 🤔 still figuring out how to take care of the winy noise on the passenger seat

efloth

Well thats one way to get higher boost at lower RPMs. Its definitely a clean build, i wouldnt have gone that way but im not the one driving it either. Im thinking of eliminating my hydraulic power steering and getting an aftermarket electric power steering set up. Ill be able to eliminate the winy noise under the hood, 🤔 still figuring out how to take care of the winy noise on the passenger seat
Dave, ever hear if the Saginaw pump upgrade? Best upgrade I ever did on my truck. Only cost 100 bucks on eBay. You just need a pump and bracket from a 4.9 e-series, and a slightly longer belt. Steering is easier and super quiet. I can't help with the other whiny noise though lol.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
im leaving today in the morning to go pickup a 4.9l with saginaw- these are no longer easy to find.
100.00 entire engine.
the c2 pump, is a good pump. properly installed it will not whine. the whine comes from side load on the bushing . there is a TSB out on this problem.
a cooler inline aids with leaking reservoirs

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
Took me months after I snagged my '92 F150 back in April to find an E-series 4.9 to grab the bracket and pump. Not an awful job, but not easy...definitely packed in there.

The C2 on my F350 is quiet, the one that was on my '88 F150 was noisy as could be. Any link to that TSB?

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
EFI 4.9 serp saginaws are fairly easy to find as no one seems to wants them. I see at least one every trip to the junkyard. I pass em by all the time. V-belt saginaws on the other hand are super rare, I find one or two per year. I found one recently, but its already earmarked for someone. Also recently found one for a SBF V-belt and the "needle in a haystack" 6.9 IDI V-belt. Serp SBF versions sell like hot cakes.

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
Maybe it is a regional thing. I saw a V-belt SBF Econo with the Saginaw setup, probably should have grabbed to flip and a BBF, but that was so packed in there I did not want to mess with it.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Maybe it is a regional thing. I saw a V-belt SBF Econo with the Saginaw setup, probably should have grabbed to flip and a BBF, but that was so packed in there I did not want to mess with it.
It most certainly is regional. There are still a decent amount of 3rd gen econolines still cycling through the yards here, but most are EFI. Other places are different. I still see a decent amount of 67-79 ford pickups ho through the yards too. But broncos are rare here. Seen maybe 6 or 7 in about 5 years

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
I just saw a Bronco in the yard, I was shocked it was there. AZ too...no rust, just smoked paint. Hell, someone just dropped a boss 1985 ECLB 4x4 F250. 460/C6, Explorer package and has camper shell. It is for sale as an inop at $2000, my guess bad Duraspark module as cranks or the carb is trash.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
I just saw a Bronco in the yard, I was shocked it was there. AZ too...no rust, just smoked paint. Hell, someone just dropped a boss 1985 ECLB 4x4 F250. 460/C6, Explorer package and has camper shell. It is for sale as an inop at $2000, my guess bad Duraspark module as cranks or the carb is trash.
85 explorer package is pretty rare. Ive only seen a couple f150s with it, and early 80s at that. Sounds like a sweet truck. I love bullnoses and supercabs.

King_Kong

What you are talking about is the Ford Corporate pump. They whined & moaned. Especially when previous owners ran Power Steering Fluid in them: they take ATF fluid per Ford, not PS fluid.

Like everyone is saying here, the 4.9 E-series Vans had Saginaw pumps. They don't whine or moan, & they give smoother steering w/more psi.

I grabbed a Saginaw pump & bracket out of the junkyard for $25, but haven't installed them.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
and to wad this up a bit, on friday, i bought a six out of a 150, with a saginaw pump....coukd have been swapped, but does not appear so.
were that the case it was a very long time ago, several layers of grease ago

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
and to wad this up a bit, on friday, i bought a six out of a 150, with a saginaw pump....coukd have been swapped, but does not appear so.
were that the case it was a very long time ago, several layers of grease ago
No F-series ever came with a saginaw pump from the factory. Likewise no econoline after 75 ever came with a Ford CII pump. Though i have seen exactly one econoline with a CII, the poor sucker. Ive also came across one saginaw in a 71 F100, swapped in.

20201004_102426.jpg

InlineDave87

🤔 that econoline is giving me ideas…. Any who, i was just making a bad joke about spouses, and i was just talking about converting to electronic power steering as an upgrade (to me) for the truck to make the engine bay cleaner and to also possibly utilize the power steering location for a supercharger

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
🤔 that econoline is giving me ideas…. Any who, i was just making a bad joke about spouses, and i was just talking about converting to electronic power steering as an upgrade (to me) for the truck to make the engine bay cleaner and to also possibly utilize the power steering location for a supercharger
and here the whole while the dialog i assumed you were referring to a child making noise in the passenger seat. i am dense.
i cannot argue with bigblue about sourcing pumps except to say the c2 is not as bad as people make it to be. and this 300 out of the f150 was as near factory as ive seen a truck. all hose matched, and one would think that swap engine might retain original pump for simplicities sake, but who knows . my dear departed daddy put a viper engine in a 57 bel aire coupe (and squandered my inheritance in so doing) so anything is possible i suppose. i am going after a van dip stick for sure. that is convienient on a 4x truck.