All Big Six Thinking of purchasing a 96 f150 shortbed 4.9L - I've got a few questions

Relates to all big sixes

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
Oh, no idea one could order a 4.10:1 in these. Good to know.

ZF is also a lot noisier and heavier. M5OD would probably yield similar economy due to internal mass differences. My S5-47 7.3 spec was around 180lbs dry.

efloth

Oh, no idea one could order a 4.10:1 in these. Good to know.

ZF is also a lot noisier and heavier. M5OD would probably yield similar economy due to internal mass differences. My S5-47 7.3 spec was around 180lbs dry.
I really like the M5OD its just that pesky tall first and reverse gear that makes it troublesome when towing. I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there any other option besides the ZF?

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
I hope this isn't too off topic, but I was looking at a friend's recently acquired 1919 Model T yesterday. It had been updated with things to make it friendlier to drive, like a 12 volt alternator and a distributor in place of the buzz boxes. One thing that really intrigued me was an overdrive unit mounted on the driveline. It was a Volvo Laycock brand. Would this unit be beefy enough behind our sixes?
1639086678778.png

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
Thanks bubba 22349. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one. One youtube video I watched was a guy who bought a rebuildable core for $150.

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
I was under the impression M5OD R2 had nearly a 4:1 first gear? Gasser ZF is nearly 6:1 and do not think about a fast 1-2 shift even w fresh single cone syncro, gear set just too heavy.

T18 and T19 for non OD. Plus I guess other automotive ones with SBF bellhousing?

Seems somewhat relevant to OP looking at it with potential gearing. You can always make a new thread.

King_Kong

Excellent information. I've always wondered why the RCSB guys report better fuel economy. This pretty much sums it up. Tempted to sell some bitcoin and buy a gear vendors overdrive. Basically selectable 3.55 or 2.73 gearing. Paired with a ZF would be pretty amazing having all 10 speeds.

I remember some guys talking about running transfer cases in 2wd vehicles so that they could have steep highway gears for mpg, but use "4Lo" for towing around town. Can't remember if they were doing it for Pre-runner type of trucks or what, but the same discussion came up on EcoModder as well.

King_Kong

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I was looking at a friend's recently acquired 1919 Model T yesterday. It had been updated with things to make it friendlier to drive, like a 12 volt alternator and a distributor in place of the buzz boxes. One thing that really intrigued me was an overdrive unit mounted on the driveline. It was a Volvo Laycock brand. Would this unit be beefy enough behind our sixes?

I mentioned it in a reply to another post, but there are guys running transfer cases in 2wd vehicles a cheap alternative to this; they run the 2wd vehicle with "highway" rear gears. They use 4HI for mpg & then switch to 4Lo for towing & low speed driving; although the vehicle is still 2wd.

Sevensecondsuv

I do that all the time with the front hubs unlocked on my 4wd stuff. "2wd low range" is awesome for maneuvering trailers and what not, especially stuff like easing a trailer over a curb.

Problem is that the 2.7:1 -ish reduction of most chain drive cases is way too slow, even with the trans in overdrive, for city driving. So I find myself still needing a trans with a deep 1st gear. Now if someone made a transfer case with about 1.5:1 reduction - that would be the bees knees!

On a somewhat related note, I see that advanced adapters has ended production of the ranger overdrive that went between the bell and trans of most 4 spds (T18, NP435, SM465, etc). I always thought that was a very nice option because it gave you 8 gears from about ~7:1 to 0.7:1 with very nice splits, all from dime a dozen 4-spds and would fit in pickups easily. I always figured I'd build something with one but it looks like they're NLA. Too bad!

efloth

I remember some guys talking about running transfer cases in 2wd vehicles so that they could have steep highway gears for mpg, but use "4Lo" for towing around town. Can't remember if they were doing it for Pre-runner type of trucks or what, but the same discussion came up on EcoModder as well.
I've had that thought but still does not give you the low rpm cruise. The ZF with an overdrive gives you the best combination: granny first and reverse for towing and a 5th over ratio of .6:1

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
NP 205 is a 2 to 1 transfer case. NP200 can be had in 1.5:1 but isnt common.

The ranger torque splitter is indeed gone but advance adapters I believe still makes one. You can still find DNE2 overdrives too. I saw one a while back on an 83 E350 6.9 IDI C6. I shoulda snagged it but id thrown out my back recently and also didnt wanna mess with a potentially burned circuit board.

NP203 range box can be adapted to most TCs as a 2:1 reduction box.

The ZF5 is great, but im still waiting to snag a ZF6 to bastardize onto a 300. I drive a zf6 in my 2008 F350 behind a 5.4L gasser. Its a blast.