TIMMING CHAIN & GEARS

Ak Miller told me that the early 3/4 chain was better, and with less retard. The heaver weight 1"" made it whip more. I run a 200 so can not say if true.

Yes, I can't say for sure but the first set I bought, 3/4", was a replacement for my stock 78. I think I got the info from this forum correct that buying the separate components 414, 415 &363 chain would provide the earlier and more desirable timing. I hope I have it correct!

Will Do! Comparing the keyway positions it appears I am good. No interference turning over by hand, but that's not running either! Anyone out there install a 250 timing cover without the rubber chain pad?

You're going to have to drop the front of the pan. I'm surprised you didn't have the same problem with the 3/4" chain. That guide crosses the inside corner of the pan there.

How about holding it somehow where it goes inside the pan edge and pushing the cover on and engaging it instead of having it in the cover beforehand?

I think your idea is a good one. Just not sure how to get in there to push it on from the inside out. I am actually considering cutting the center section out. The cover will clear with just the ends of the piece in the cover. Not sure if I would lose them after assembly. If I start to drop the front of the pan I am afraid it will leak. In my world dropping the pan means pulling the motor!! I wonder if anyoone has any experience with the cover without the insert? As it is right now the chain is tight!!!! Thanks Econoline!

Back