Tranny Swap Question???

pedal2themetal45

Famous Member
Hi all
I posted this in the Dirve train forum with NO reply for 2 days now.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before I'm no good on the search thing. Right now I have a 3spd out of a 72 Maveric in my comet W/200cu.. but I am thinking of a 4 or 5 speed for it.. is there a direct swap tranny out there? I believe it has the duel patteren Bell.
Thanks
Tim

wallaka

2K+
VIP
An SROD will go anywhere a 3.03 will. Same everything, according to SR's post in the Drivetrain section. A T4 might as well, with the right bellhousing. Anything else requres an adaptor. Then again, an adapter is a hunnerd bucks or so, or you can fab your own. There are plans somewhere in the Drivetrain section.

I don't think it was posted to your question, but there is another one up near the top of the page that is similar.

SROD=4 speed w/OD, in case you were wondering.

addo

Top Poster
VIP
REDLINE 10K
Pretty sure you still need an adaptor plate. There's the rare T-45 bell, and you should grab one at any price up to (say) $400 as it will be a straight bolt-up. All you then need to fabricate is the rear crossmember.

powerband

2K+
VIP
pedal2themetal45":18m61d4i said:
Hi all
...Right now I have a 3spd out of a 72 Maveric in my comet W/200cu.. but I am thinking of a 4 or 5 speed for it.. is there a direct swap tranny out there? I believe it has the duel patteren Bell.
Thanks
Tim

If ypu already have a 3.03-"Toploader" 3spd in it you are in great shape:

As far as I’ve learned, the only bellhousing that fits right up for a T-5, is the one sold for early '80s six cylinder Mustangs with a T-4 four speed trans. ...

Although the only direct bolt up Bellhousing to the six is rare and expensive, the generic “Small Block Fordâ€￾ Toploader Bell to T5 adapter Adapter plates are readily available for under @ $150 from multiple vendors. . The TL Bell was used from @ 67 thru 77 on the 200, and 170 on the MAv/Com, Granada, Mustang and are not a difficult to find. (250's are different). For earlier Falcon/Comet swaps, the original Six - Fal/Stang/Com - 3spd rear of 3.50 ratio works great with the OD T5. They are not suitable for performance but work well on street applications.

It is an alternative to use the Toploader Bell with T5 adapter to the T5 with the original 170/200 Flywheel and all original Clutch and linkage. To fit it in an early Falcon is another story...

Powerband

71 Maverick 170 Block. FW, Bell - T5 adapter:
63WGN07RBLDT5ADAPTBFHMOD-1.jpg

Original linkage modified:
Clutch TO arm fixx)
63WGN07RBLDT5CLUTCHFORKFIX-1.jpg

Generic C4 adapter modded for T5:

CROSSMEMBERCU.jpg

Cruises at @ 2100 RPM - 65 MPH
FULLXHAUSTFRT.jpg