turbo '96 4.9l

kerstinglane

hey guys, i have a 1996 short bed single cab f150 with the 4.9 inline six and i want to turbo it, and had some questions. i am not new to turbos, just new to turbos on fords.
1. what kind of boost can i run and the stock computer still read?
2. what kind of boost can this motor handle for extened periods of time?
3. i am new to megasquirts (i dont understand them well enough to want to instal one) and do not have the resourses to program a chip, so who do you suggest that i send my computer to, to have it reflashed, or is there a on the fly tuner (like the APEXER for the civics) that i could run?
4. what injectors do you suggest i run and for how much boost will they handle?
5. should i run a fuel pressure regulator or should i try to get that programed into the computer?
thanks

I would be interested in the same answer. I am currently on page 16 out of 66 on this site Reading each post that seems to pertain to the build I plan on. Thanks in advance.

I would be interested in the same answer. I am currently on page 16 out of 66 on this site Reading each post that seems to pertain to the build I plan on. Thanks in advance.
Tell us more about your build plans.

Tell us more about your build plans.
Hey Pal
I will give a short rundown with a caveat, I do not have all my facts inline as far as exactly what I want. I planned on starting a thread once I have all the info that is basic knowledge on this site.
I think I made it to page 33 last night of this website.
Truck 96 single cab ,long bed ,4x4 ,300, 4 speed 211k on the clock just bought for $500. I bought this truck to build something cool. Mostly DD but not my primary truck.

Goals ish….
300 hp
About 10 lbs of boost seems reasonable from what I have read without extreme build
Reliable power minimal tinkering.

Questions I have as of now
Reliability for daily driving 40-80 miles a day.
if I build a motor pistons cam head work exc. to be boosted and I’m happy with what I have will it be usable naturally aspirated?
Dose any retailer have a on the shelf or speck build motor done sans turbo? Long block that would fit the low compression specs?
what type of money am I looking to soak into a project like this?

I hope I do not come across as dumb I’m just now slipping my toe in these waters.
thanks I’m advance.

Your questions are all good and we would much rather you get help in the planning stages rather than build something that has a problem and have questions on how to fix it.

To begin with you need a EFI system that uses a 2 bar MAP sensor which will work up to 15 lbs of boost.
You can make an exhaust system for the turbocharger that bolts to the stock EFI exhaust manifolds.
If you use the CNC ported Promaxx head you can use the stock 1996 4.9 replacement piston and the result will be a lower compression ratio for turbocharging.
The Promaxx head with Scorpion roller rocker arms alone will increase the power enough where you can use the stock cam for turbocharging.

The engine will work great without boost but you will be missing out on a lot of fun.

I will be putting a parts list together and keep asking questions.
Here are the stock replacement pistons

Here is the Promaxx CNC ported head

The Scorpion roller rockers

Example of exhaust pipes for the turbocharger

Recommended EFI system

Last edited:
I'm about to undertake a similar build if I can get it all together.
On ecm programming you can also try tweecer, I used it in last 96 I had, never got turbo on it before I sold it, but working with guy who makes system I could run turbo on factory mass air.

Back