Turbo recomendations for 250 crossflow

Unfalconbelievable

Ok I dont know much about torbo's and am trying to select the correct size for my 250. Was wanting 15 psi of boost as early as possible. I know that I want something capable of major exaust flow and have found a turbo on ebay for a reasonable price. It has 64.5mm turbine wheel, 60.5mm compressor wheel, AR for turbine housing is .84 and compressor housing AR is .70. Does this sound good or is it a touch too big. looking at max RPM of 5500 and 500+lbft torque hopefuly. Yes I know this requires major prep work to the rest of engine, just need info on the turbo selection. Thanks to anyone who can help

Unfalconbelievable":m7iduwkv said:
It has 64.5mm turbine wheel, 60.5mm compressor wheel, Does this sound good

Hard to say, do you know exactly what trim you are dealing with?

How about wear? I am scared of buying used, it doesn't take much to cook a turbo....

I used this guide:

113_0312_turbo_15_z.jpg

from this article:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... 312_turbo/

and was LUCKY to find just that on ebay, for $275, brand new in the Garrett box.

I get 10 psi by 3000, one of my turbos would be perfect for you.

OK How much hp can the 250 block handle? The turbo sounds about right as your running 10psi and i want to run about 15, maybe 20 on avgas for race meets. I'm getting prices on a set of after market H-beams instead of the 265 rods, also what sort of static copm would be suitable for this sorta boost, I was thinking about 7.5:1. maybe a touch higher if i run water injection

CHEERS

Unfalconbelievable":39ff69j7 said:
The turbo sounds about right as your running 10psi

10 psi ??!!!?? Read my sig, dude!! ;)

Anything around 8.5:1 to 9:1 will be fine on pump gas if you keep boost low.

How much HP can the block take?? No idea. If anyone has broken one, I wouls like to know.

Apparantly, some guy in south america is at 1000 HP in a chevy 250 running methanol.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/sho ... adid=45355

Maybe your not understanding me, I'm not keeping boost low, around 15psi maybe upto 20 on avgas for track days. I want reliable no-ping power on 1 bar boost and pump PULP all day. I was thinking 7.5:1 for 15psi and no hassles.

If you build to run pump gas at 15 psi then AvGas will probably let you run 25.

Changing "tunes" for different fuels can get tricky....FAST.
AvGas and pump gas have different specific gravities. If you tune for one fuel,you may have to change more than just jets to run the other (and have the tune down right)

I definitely wouldn't run a S-3 trim, something around a V-1 would work well. Don't run H-3 trim, they don't like high boost. In fact, a 60-1 would suit you pretty well.

Back