V8 suspension swap

Grumpykidd

What’s up guys, here’s a general question for anyone to chime in on. Is it better to upgrade to V8 suspension parts? I’ve been taking the stang out for rides around the neighborhood and feel like the car is weak in the way it handles. I’m wondering if upgrading to V8 suspension parts will help in that department. Anybody have any experience? Thanks for your time

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, many of the suspension parts are the same, like the upper and lower control arms, but other things like the spindles, idler arms, and springs are different. You have to shop places like NPD and plan how deep a dive to take. The V8 cars have bigger brakes as well. Good luck

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
X2 It's not absolutly nessisary to swap in the V8 suspention parts to get good handling you can do it with either the Six or V8 parts but in some cases it might be a good way to go. The question is what type handeling are you looking for? How do you plan to use your Mustang? What you describe as weak handling might just be because some your stock suspention parts are worn out and needing replacement. Best of luck

Grumpykidd

Thanks fellas i’m going to start easy by replacing the bushings and adding a thicker 1” sway bar and adding a monte carlo bar maybe some sub-frame connectors will button it up, i’ve been doing some research and maybe i need to grease the steering box to eliminate the play in the steering column too.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Hi Grumpykidd, That will be the perfect time to also do the Shelby / Arning UCA Drop while you have the front suspension apart for rebuild its low cost and easy to do see below link for details on the how to and why it helps. Add a set of roller Spring / Shock perches for another improvement in handleing that is also a budget friendly DIY Mod if you can weld or know someone that can or you can buy them already made see below link. If you have manual steering you can also add a roller idler arm too for easier effort in low speed steering situations. Let me know if you want to beef up the spring towers too, but in any case check that they are standing up straight and make them right if they are not or have some damage from past collisions etc, this is a very important first step in being able to have good handeling with these Fords. Then last get yourself a good quality front end alainment after all you repairs and mod's are finished to compleate the job details are in the Shelby UCA Drop instutions. Good luck on your chassis Mod's. Edited

Here's is the link so you can print out your own Free Shelby / Arning drop template in its actual size it includes the install instructions and front end alinement settings too. Good luck
:nod:

Shelby / Arining UCA Drop Instructions, Drilling Template, and Front End Alainment Settings
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-13525187779972/aarms.pdf

Understanding the Shelby / Arning UCA Drop Changes

DIY Roller Spring Perches

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, I feel the cost of replacing the control arms is worth is since you get new ball joints as well as the bushings. It may be cheaper then buying the parts. I know it is a lot easier. Be careful with the spring compressor. Good luck

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
The 5 lug swap is easy enough to do since your are planing to rebuild the front suspension, with all the available stock Ford and aftermarket parts. Not sure what current costs are to do the job with all new parts but you could also try to hunt up some good used parts which is fine for all except the wearable ones plus as Be Ron Co said many of tge six parts are the same. Below is the list of parts needed for the V8 suspension swap you need are all the 1965 or 1966 V8 Mustang front suspention parts if in your 5 Lug swap you also looking for better handling and braking then it's a great way to go. Note to others reading this post these same parts will also swap onto the 1964 & 1965 Falcons and Comets, with one part being substituted they would need to use the 1965 Falcon V8 tie Rod center link instead of the Mustang center link which is to long to fit. The 1965 V8 Falcon & Comet had Ford best steering geometry of all the early bodys this design was then swapped into the new 1965 and 1966 Mustang.

1965 or 1966 Mustang V8 Parts to swap from 4 to 5 Lug

Stock V8 Drum or Disk Brake Spindles or you can also use the aftermarket CSRP Granada disk brake swap Spindles that are the proper steering geometry and designed for use the 1965 & 1966 Mustangs.
Stock V8 5 Lug Drum Brakes, Disk Brakes, or Granada disk brake parts if your using the aftermarket swap spindles.
Stock V8 Tie Rod center link
Stock V8 Inner Tie Rod ends
Set of Mustang Steve tie Rod end bushings or switch to the stock V8 outer tie rods ends
Stock V8 Idler Arm and its mounting bracket
Stock V8 Steering Pitmen Arm

Stock 1965 or 1966 Mustang 8 inch rear axle bolt in swap or you can have a new 8 or 9 inch axle built to fit. For Falcons & Comets you can also use the 1964 & 1965 V8 8 inch rear axles or the rare 1963 1/2 V8 inch (narrowest 8 inch) that is a perfect fit in the 1960 to 1963 Falcon and Comets round bodys.

Best of luck on your swap plans!