VINTAGE CHAMP CAR REPLICA BUILD

Mydogisshaggy

Hi Mydogisshaggy. It is commendable that you are willing to tackle the build up o a Ford six head. Porting and polishing the ports and chambers is a good way to get more power from the engine. Even the novice builder with basic tools can improve things a lot.
What looks to you like a drill holding a valve against a grinding wheel is actually a Sioux valve grinding machine. Do NOT try to grind the valves in an electric drill. The valve grinding machine is a very precision machine that will precisely restore the surfaces on the valve. Some processes are better left to pros with the right equipment. I bet if you took just your valves to an automotive machine shop the cost to just grind your valves would not be much.
Likewise grinding the seats requires very precise control of the grind stones, with frequent precise dressing. Leave that to somebody with a seat grinder. The valve guides often need reconditioning before seat grinding can be done.
Good luck with your project.
There are a couple of groups in NW Ohio that race vintage cars. Also, I have been invited by ARCA to bring the car to their old-timers weekend at Toledo and Flat Rock Speedways. We'll see.
Been a while since I've been to flat rock (a figure 8 school bus rally was the last visit lol) I've been dying to get back there and have thought of entering the dirt ring there one day 🙂 best of luck and thanks.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
If this car doesn't work as good as hoped I may just chain it to the back of a school bus and enter that combo.

As you may remember Flat Rock is a very wide oval with short straights. For several years a gent by the name of Royce Cornett ran Ford 300 sixes, even in classes where V8s were allowed. He was very successful at it as that track was well suited to a car with a better weight distribution with little penalty for having less power than a V8..

wallen7

Back
If this car doesn't work as good as hoped I may just chain it to the back of a school bus and enter that combo.

As you may remember Flat Rock is a very wide oval with short straights. For several years a gent by the name of Royce Cornett ran Ford 300 sixes, even in classes where V8s were allowed. He was very successful at it as that track was well suited to a car with a better weight distribution with little penalty for having less power than a V8..

Back in 1980 we took a dirt track car to Fayetteville NC to an asphalt 1/2 mile track and ran 3rd in the late model race against 350 & 400 chevys with a 240. The driver had never raced on ashpalt before and we got scuffed tires to run not expecting to do well, Funny thing is that til the last corner we almost had a chance at winning. We really had that car hooked up that year and ended up winning 17 races.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
I built a belly pan so I can sit in the car with my feet constrained and begin to lay out the accelerator and brake controls. I hope to have both an external hand brake handle and a foot pedal inside the car. The dash panel needed trimming to clear my legs.

Attachments

• bellypan 15.JPG
    bellypan 15.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • inst panl 08.JPG
    inst panl 08.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

JPierce

Like that dash, fancy knurling. Is this going to be a show car or historic races? You must be fairly tall. I'm 6'6" and had trouble sitting in my step dads sprint car. He also put a 300 6 in his.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
JPierce, I built it with the intention of running it at vintage and historic events. There are several groups that hold these events and some nearby tracks have special events where old(ish) cars are welcome to parade or hot lap it. I am also 6'6" and I know what you mean about tight, especially since I'll be running a three-speed C4 trans in mine. Squeeky tight
I'll pretty it up as much as I can and can afford, but I won't be happy until it gets splattered with mud and the pipes turn blue.

JPierce

Yep, they are fun but a hand full to drive. Any idea when you you'll have it finished? Love to see some pictures throwing up some dirt.

After the 300 6 we put a 351c twin turbo on propane in Ak's sprint car. He took me with him to El Mirage dry lake to test his cars and we took turns breaking them in. When the boost hit that thing was just plain violent. Not a good combo. It really scared him at Pikes Peak and he loved that race course. He complained about the turbos lagging just when he wanted to throw the car sideways entering a corner and then wham too much power when boost kicked in and he had to back off the throttle to control it. My mom and I were scared to death he was going to kill himself in that thing.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
Wow
Great memories.
I am hoping it won't be a whole lot scarier than some rides I've taken in my altered roadsters.
I have no specific completion date. I'll just keep plugging along, trying to do something, anything on this project every day. I will try to rent a local horse training track to try out the handling and get pics and videos. I still have lots to do. Welding, controls, wiring, plumbing, upholstery, paint and graphics.

JPierce

Nice work! That nose piece looks really smooth, did you pound that out or use a wheel? Seeing your cockpit floor reminds me of my step dads sprint car. I think it was direct drive when he bought it which he converted to a 3 speed for his 300 fuel injected 6 at the Pikes Peak race. Stuffing the clutch and brake was sketchy. I remember driving it and my big feet would snag on the trans and the other pedal. I think he ended up putting thin a plate against the trans to prevent it. As I recall some of the guys used hand brakes to avoid that. Later when he put a 351c twin turbo in it he ran an automatic.

Here's a pic of the 300 6 using hilborn throttle bodies and a mercedes mechanical injector pump. The shifter was on the left side of the dash.

Ak Miller Pikes Peak.jpg

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
I formed the nose cold, with hammer and dolly.
Your champ car is awesome. It is nice to see somebody else put a 300 six in one.

JPierce

Yeah, love the look of these old ones. It's amazing the lack of safety standards back then. All the drivers heads were above the roll bars. It was strange that none of the drivers ever got killed at Pikes Peak until they mandated full roll cages. When we would test the car he would let me drift around on the dry lake bed and I remember feeling totally exposed even though there was nothing to hit or dig a tire into. I'd be pretty cautious on the soft dirt if you do take yours to the horse track, seems like it would be easy to catch a tire and roll if you hang it out a little too far. Do the vintage races allow the old short style roll bars?

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2018
I think most vintage race groups do allow vintage roll bars but they also frown upon getting wheels locked together and other dangerous maneuvers. I.e., no aggressive driving. Some of those cars are museum pieces. Mine - not so much.

When I take it out to flat track hot lap it I will be careful. One thing I learned from my altereds is the location of the rear roll center has a huge effect on cornering. My early Logghe car had a sliding wishbone mounted above the 9" pumpkin. My later Advanced car had a sliding wishbone mounted below the 9" pumpkin. I used to snap the throttle in the pits to spin the Logghe car around 180* to load it up (I know, reckless, childish behavior). When I tried that the first time in my new car because of the roll center it tipped over sideways and I darn near rolled it, since the roll center was now only a few inches off the ground. I'll sneak up on its handling characteristics.
My roll bar is higher than my helmet. If it looks a little dorky to purists that's OK with me.

Attachments

• roll bar 04.JPG
    roll bar 04.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • sr_099.JPG
    sr_099.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9