welding stainless tips?...

A

Anonymous

Anyone here weld Stainless steel (304 or 321) piping for headers?...I am trying to go over things for building a turbo header and just getting the basic ideas and thoughs conglomerated into my mind.

Does anyone have experienceor tips on how to weld with what size and alloy of wire? I hope to plan on welding up a set of headers myself using a stainless manifold flange stencil and either weld els or bending of the tube.

Im guessing stainless 321 is a little more expensive, but better for a little higher heat...I think 304 will do just fine.

I have a small Lincoln wire feed MIG with CO2.

Adam

So no professional or experienced welders here?....

Im sure someone has some experience..more than I considering ive never welded stainless steel.

you might want to look around but I know that there aer some SS alloys that should not be used in a turbo header due to heat issues.

Most people I know just use mild steel since it is cheaper, holds up better, and is easier to work with.

have you thought about making one in mild steel and then a second in SS once you settle on your design?

Weight for weight, SS will hold up much better than plain steel. It is more rigid at higher temperatures and corrosion resistant. 304 wire will do fine for you. You may want to change to an argon mix for your gas, but try out what you have and see if it works for you. I haven't welded up custom headers yet, but I do weld SS for other things. Where are you going to get your tubing?

I have no clue where im going to get my tubing at yet....theres a Weld Air stor here that sells just about anything you can think of...I should be able to find some without too much trouble.

That is an excellent idea..except to get it perfect, i would have to make two manifold flanges one mild steel and one stainless.

My Dad was welding 1/4 inch stainless for his boat and it did ok, but it was alittle thick for the welders power. He noticed stainless does not get hot enough for its density to weld with a little too less of power. He suggested heating the tubing with a torch to bring the temps up on the stainless for possibly better penetration.

Swap in a spool of stainless wire and a bottle of Argon and it welds pretty much the same as regular steel. MAKE SURE you have good ventilation though as stainless fumes are pretty nasty to breath.

Argon mix and with a second tube of gas going INSIDE the header , plug the ends with crushed alum foil. This is to purge the backside of the weld and keep the inside part of the weld from burning.

The absolute best way to weld would be in a glove box with the oxygen completely purged out. You could build one if you want to go that far.

On the Apollo project this was the way Inconel, titanium and other exotics were welded. A couple of the glove boxes were plexiglas domes on table tops. One welding atmosphere chamber was a walk-in for loading with robot fixtures for rotating and positioning. This was where the cryogenic tanks for the lunar lander and command module were welded.

yeah...get that oxygen away somehow...ill have to ponder and think...i just got my injectors in the mail today and my turbo in the mail a couple days ago..im almost ready to take the old headers exhaust off the truck and start fitting things together...need to get some tubing and some stainless plate for the manifold flange.

I can only supply experience with TIG.
- use 308 filler for 304 pipe or tube
- if welding tubing you mustprovide backing gas, or solar flux, gas is cleaner.
-if welding 304 sched 10 pipe, backing gas can be avoided on but weld if there is half pipe wall mating surface and no air gap. This weld will not have complete penetration but there is sufficient wall thickness for the intended use. This process is also a time saver.
- use the least amount of heat that will get the metal fused.
-have stainless flanges water or laser cut, most plasma systems leave a poor finish and cleanup will destroy expensive carbide burs.
-other than that it welds good and should provide a long service life.
jp

Use mild steel schedule 10 pipe and weld ells

It is plenty thick to handle the stress and requires nothing exotic.

8) I use just plain old Lincoln E - 6011 rod to weld exhaust. Stainless rod is for appearence, standard rod works fine, but not for a show finish.

Back