What all options do I have in way of a 1 Barrel Carb on 250

texasrat67

What all options do I have in way of a 1 Barrel Carb on my 250?

Motorcraft
D0PF-9510 D
4523 1913

I belive that works out to be a Motorcraft/Holley 1940 with a Climatic/Choke. I'm not looking to better this carb. Just want one thats better than mine. I was looking for a replacement carb just like the one I have and man are they pricey! WTH! I don't mind going with the same type but just can't find one under the 300.00 "I can trust" range plus float the 100.00 core charge.

So what else out there will just bolt on and work? and hopefully, doesn’t cost a fortune?

Yes, I rebuilt this one but it's in sad shape and needs shaft bushings etc. So it really needs refurbished. I also looked into that but that cost the same as buying one.

"I am running a 250 all stock" it's about a 1979-80 model in a 1969 West German Ford T-5 Coupe" "German Mustang"

I wouldn’t be B&^%$ing about cost so much.......But family comes before the car. Except when I'm in the garage! LOL

BTW I'm new here and Just gone done taking the head off my six.....Got to see the guts! cleaned up the head and valves and redplaced a leaky gasket. I love the Falcon Performance handbook! It helped me out for sure!

Thanks

They came with Carter RBS carbs in the early 70's, also came with YFA's later. you should be able to pick up either of those rebuilt for well under $200. I know they have the RBS on Rock Auto which can be harder to find. Search 1970 Mustang 4.1 to find the RBS on RockAuto.

Howdy Back:

FYI- the OEM carb on a '69 Mustang 250 was an Autolite 1101. It was used for one year and replaced by the Carter RBS. The Holley 1940 was a service replacement carb- sort of a one-size-fits-all, but none too well. My guess is that the 1940 was acquired after Autolite went out of business. So, Again, my guess is that finding an Autolite 1101 would be the closest to a bolt-on.

The carb on Ebay appears to be a Carter YF, which replaced the RBS around '75. Our best source is auto swap meets for rebuildable cores. Core one barrels are never more than a few bucks and easily rebuildable.

Glad to hear the FPH is treating you good. Good Luck.

Adios, David

That YFA on ebay will bolt on and work, but it comes down to linkage and choke type as to how "bolt on" ready it is. The YFA is probably what you're motor cam with being a 79, I'm not sure how much if at all the linkage changed from 69 to 78. I know on my econoline a yf w/manual choke is a direct bolt on replacement for the autolite 1100 that is on there, the load o matic system aside. Linkage just snaps on.

You have a few options. The autolite 1101 was used on the 1969 model 250's, it's a very good carb. The RBS was used from 1970 thru 1974. The YFA was used on the 250's from 1975 to 1980 and it's a very good carb. A few other things to consider are: From 1969 thru 1974 these carbs have automatic choke (not electric), the 1975 thru 1980 has an electric choke. Starting in 1973 all of the carbs are calibrated to be used with an EGR valve. Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks allot guys. All that information was very helpful. Also, I got to really looking at the numbers on the side of the original box on that carb I had found on Ebay, "link in thread" and It appears that one reason why that carb is so affordable is that it's a California rated carb built for a California car. I do believe I remember reading about those altered carbs. And one impact of that was less air through the carb. And other changes made to meet Cali-Car nazi demands. LOL

In any case, I found a place online that had an Autolite "Holley" 1940 1V with a Climatic Choke setup just like the one I had. for 225.00 Fully remanufactured and they took out the foam replacement floats at my request and replaced them with the Brass ones. They also bench test and tune them. Hopefully, the carb bolts on and with little adjustment so I hope to be on my way!

I will with hold the name of the company until after I see how the carb works. Since I already paid. The last thing I need to worry about is someone telling me they suck. LOL But at least on the surface this place looks like all they work on is carbs....for Boats, Cars, Tractors, etc from the beginning of time! LOL

Thanks

Well done, texasrat67, if the throttle trunnions are still able to be rebushed, then fortune has found you in this instance but what with SCA and non SCA, and the three different carb brands it was stamped with, what a Bar-steward of a carb they are to find. No one has really covered off the 1940/1100/1101 differences in a correct and comprehensive manner, but David (CZLN6) the co-author of the Falcon Performance Handbook on http://www.falcon6handbook.com/ has done the lions share, and I only have a few details to add.

Sadly, there are two sizes of 1940 Holley, a 1.4375" throttle with nominal 1.125 venturi and a 1.6875 throttle with nominal 1.375" venturi. This is one of the only Holley carbs to be sized not by a Holley part number convention, but by Fords Basic Part Number suffix plate. This means not all 1940's are even close in cfm...they could be as good as 212 cfm for a big 223/262/240/250 or 300 carb like yours, or as little as about 160 cfm at 3.0"Hg for the little 144/170/200 stand in item. David lists the cfm's in some detail for stock carbs, but there is no common factory info for the 1940 variants...you have to track down obscure HP book "Holley carburetors and manifolds. ISBN 0-89586-433-9 . By Mike Urich and Bill Fisher" to get close to the right cfm's, and the smaller 1940 160 cfm flow is an estimate based on what the 1.10 and 1.20 1100 Autolite flows. The 1101 1.29 flows about 210 cfm.

R 4523 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix D, is indeed a big 1969 Ford Pass., 250 Eng. Std. & Auto.carb, one of the good ones which flows 212 cfm and has a blue print 1.375" venturi which varied in practice from 1.352" to 1.386" in venturi size depending on how accurate you measure it.

See http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holl ... dex31.html for listing,
and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58612&p=449841#p450090
and http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... or-options for as much extra info as you can handle

Back