All Big Six what H balancer/ damper is the state of art?

Relates to all big sixes

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
there seems a lack of available balancers. 2 years back i asked what fellas are doing to address the lack of new production balancer /dampers.
is there any new info to share?

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
yikes , yes that is an option.
are there reasonable options like in the 200 dollar range ? like some other engine yielding up its parts for our six?

Last edited:

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Certainly NOT dorman... After 1200 miles the balancer delaminated 900 miles from home. Fan clutch wrench held for about 3 hours of offroading before it started to let go.

20190429_185117.jpg

Pontus

Supporter 2021
I bought the Dayco "premium" PB1192N but haven't used it yet. Hopefully it doesn't delaminate like that ^. And yeah, wow, the selection has diminished in just a coupla months.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
the damper is a sole reason i will abandon the 300. i mean to say the lack of available good parts is ....
im so dam reliant on my equipment, in remotest of places, that the 300 has this reputation and yet critical parts are no longer available....

so big blue how have you solved this problem in the after math ? what are u using now?

guhfluh

Famous Member
I'm pretty sure I had just ordered mine from LMC. I'm not sure what the manufacturer is, but no issues yet.

What are the downsides to a hydraulic balancer/damper? Surely an enterprising individual with a ring roller, welder and lathe could come up with something that can hold a few pounds of liquid mercury and lead shot (or gear oil and steel BBs if you're willing to trade away some weight). The balancer itself wouldn't need to be balanced to the same standards as a steel and rubber one since the contents would naturally help out with that.

MikeyLawless

Certainly NOT dorman... After 1200 miles the balancer delaminated 900 miles from home. Fan clutch wrench held for about 3 hours of offroading before it started to let go.
Well, THAT"s not good! I have a new one on my freshly rebuilt motor. Something that needs to be monitored.

I'd imagine there are other balancers that could be modified to fit though. It's those pesky belt grooves!

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
The Damper Doctor is a good source.

For performance use a SBF fluid or other performance balancer can be made to work.
Just have to figure belt drive and alignment.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
the damper is a sole reason i will abandon the 300. i mean to say the lack of available good parts is ....
im so dam reliant on my equipment, in remotest of places, that the 300 has this reputation and yet critical parts are no longer available....

so big blue how have you solved this problem in the after math ? what are u using now?

I bought one at the Napa in Moab. Cant recall what brand. May have been Dayco or Napa house brand. No issues since. Its super fun doing a balancer swap in the sand, followed by a drive shaft rebuild lol.

Was crazy. I had driven 250 miles on the fresh rebuild before doing the 900 miles to Moab, through the Rockies. I felt a bad vibration for a few miles and as i pulled into my camping spot it suddenly shot craps. Used the wrench "clamp" to do one trail, and it lasted about half of it. Then a day and a half of waiting for the new one to arrive.

HitmanX

Supporter 2021
Dayco makes good stuff, Autozone's Duralast belts are from them as I understand.

I may get another one, send the spare to Damper Doctors. Price is reasonable enough.

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
doing it in the sand.....
other than the irritation of sand in ur britches beats the NW mud and snow at any rate.
the moab napa must be a cash cow as its the game in town.
maybe there are damper outt there my napa did not show one rebuild is the ticket then

sdiesel

1K+
VIP
The Damper Doctor is a good source.

For performance use a SBF fluid or other performance balancer can be made to work.
Just have to figure belt drive and alignment.
furthermore there are trigger wheels for edis six that will fit the SBF damper im told.
mading EDIS or other an easier chore

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
doing it in the sand.....
other than the irritation of sand in ur britches beats the NW mud and snow at any rate.
the moab napa must be a cash cow as its the game in town.
maybe there are damper outt there my napa did not show one rebuild is the ticket then
Certainly better than mud and snow. But getting sand in the parts would not be good.

There are a few auto parts places in Moab, and they are unlike any store in my area. Full of offroad and recovery parts lol! They didnt stock the damper, and had to order, and I70 was closed (blizzard I drove through) between UT and Denver. So it came from the west coast somewhere