What the heck is this thing?

Check out the circled part protruding from my engine's valve cover. Does anyone have any idea why this is like this? I've looked at other 200 I-6's and none of them have this. Seems like some kind of mount or bracket. Any ideas? Appreciate your input. Thanks.
Inkeds-l1600 (15)_LI.jpg

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
You are right of course that it's a bracket, by this you can tell that you have a very late model 200 or 250 six valve cover installed on your early Mustang. The bracket is used to mount a part of the emissions equipment used on those late 1970's to 1980's 200 or 250 engines, another tip off is that the PCV is installed at the front of the valve cover with the breather oil filler at the rear. Best of luck

xctasy

5K+
VIP
It's for holding the Bypass and/ or Diverter valve for the Thermactor AIR system. Primarily on the B and X code intake Manifold from 1980 on wards 200 and also the 1980 250 C code sixes had them. It also holds the Null Solenoid for the A/C kicker and throttle solenoid Positioner.

You are right of course that it's a bracket, by this you can tell that you have a very late model 200 or 250 six valve cover installed on your early Mustang. The bracket is used to mount a part of the emissions equipment used on those late 1970's to 1980's 200 or 250 engines, another tip off is that the PCV is installed at the front of the valve cover with the breather oil filler at the rear. Best of luck
Thanks Bubba. Sounds like somewhere along the line, this engine got a part from a newer engine. My car is a '66 Stang so someone likely cannibalized that part from a newer model engine. This really helps tho, thanks man!

It's for holding the Bypass and/ or Diverter valve for the Thermactor AIR system. Primarily on the B and X code intake Manifold from 1980 on wards 200 and also the 1980 250 C code sixes had them. It also holds the Null Solenoid for the A/C kicker and throttle solenoid Positioner.
Thanks xctasy. I just replied to Bubba and said that it seems like somewhere along the line, my engine got a donor part from a newer engine. My car is a '66 Stang so someone likely cannibalized that part from a newer model engine since both of you guys think the part is from a 70s or 80s engine. The plot thickens. Haha. Thanks a bunch.

xctasy

5K+
VIP
I put a 1963 casting head from a 1967 XR Falcon 200 on my 1981 Mustang once. So I kinda know what goes with what.

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7139_vreser.jpg