Loadomatic advance

Eric m

Newly rebuilt 200 with a comp 252 cam. Only have 12lbs of vacuum at idle due to cam I guess. I only see my timing go up about 2 degrees when I hook up the vacuum line. When I advance the throttle I see no more movement. Is it because of the cam and low vacuum? If I suck on the carb end of the dist vacuum line the advance does move but that is all I know. Will this load o matic work with a cam installed?

Do U have a matching SCV carb (hooked up 2) da LOM dizzy?.
(12 milibars is right I believe).

Hi, connect your vacuum gauge and watch the needle as you give it gas. When you move the throttle open the vacuum drops (no advance). When you hold the throttle open steady you should see high vacuum and the mark on the pulley should move up to the water pump. You can check the diaphragm on the distributor with a vacuum pump or just suck on the hose. Let us know how it goes. Good luck

I will raise the rpms and hold steady this time. I will ck the dist line with the vacuum guage also. I have an autolite 1100 with scv.

Eric m":20ds3o70 said:
Newly rebuilt 200 with a comp 252 cam. Only have 12lbs of vacuum at idle due to cam I guess. I only see my timing go up about 2 degrees when I hook up the vacuum line. When I advance the throttle I see no more movement. Is it because of the cam and low vacuum? If I suck on the carb end of the dist vacuum line the advance does move but that is all I know. Will this load o matic work with a cam installed?

Will the LOD work with your mild cam? Yes

Is it optimal for performance? No, the later points Distribitor 1968 up is much better, and a DuraSpark II is the best low dollar upgrade you can make to your small six. Good luck :nod:

Eric m":2xpqlfsd said:
Newly rebuilt 200 with a comp 252 cam….Will this load o matic work with a cam installed?

bubba22349 said:
a DuraSpark II is the best low dollar upgrade you can make[quote/]

different carb / distributer

lotta help at the stared item on Index page for this forum: "Classic Inlines archive"
/AND/
"Performance Handbook" (about $20 by a member of this site, on sale by another at: classic inlines dot com)
while U wait for the delivery read the free archive - each is a boon to understanding these 'falcon' six motors (144, 170, 200, 250 & 240, 300).

Howdy EricM:

How about an update on your LoM advance problem? Do you have any progress to report back? I'm curious. It's a good mystery.

Adios, David

Yes my vacuum canister was shot. Got a new one for $25 and all seems well. I have initial set at 15 degrees and can see the advance move when I give it throttle. I am still curious about the ds11. I have the pertronix in for my points and don't want to go to a lot of hassle if it won't be a really noticable difference.

Eric m":3ba9136m said:
Yes my vacuum canister was shot. Got a new one for $25 and all seems well. I have initial set at 15 degrees and can see the advance move when I give it throttle. I am still curious about the ds11. I have the pertronix in for my points and don't want to go to a lot of hassle if it won't be a really noticable difference.

Since you now have a good working LOD system, to answer your question would depend on the planed use of your car ie Daily Driver, Weekend Cruser, etc. Yes there still could be quite a noticeable difference with a DuraSpark II ignistion since the later Distribitor has the better centrivical and vacuum advance system verses the old LOD's vacuum advance system. As far as the hassle factor if you get a factory DSII wire harness, the factory coil, ICM, Distribitor as a package then it's quite an easy swap. I have also though about building some new custom DSII wire harnesses if there was enough demand.

Though to use the DSII ignistion it would require that you also change carbs or mod your current carb (to remove and block the SCV) converting it to a ported vacuum type, so their would be some cost. With some good bargains at your locale junkyard, Craigslist, or here on our Ford Six Forum, (look in the For Sale and Wanted sections) you might be able to do the compleate change over for $200 to $300. You could also sell off your current working system to someone else that wants to stay with an original engine combo and that could lower the change over cost by a considerable amount too. Good luck :nod:

Howdy Back Eric:

Good for you. As Bubba already said, Yes the DS II is a good strong upgrade over your system, BUT, you will need to upgrade- modify or replace your SCV 100 to be compatible.

But with your LoM working correctly, with an Ignitor Petronix you will be in good shape. IF you plan to stay with what you've got, consider a MSD Blaster coil for a hotter spark.

So, as Bubba already asked, What are your plans for this car? Oh, and what trans is in it?

Adios, David

I have the car over 27 years it was my first car. I had it dipped in 1995 and I did new quarters wheelhouse fender etc etc. All done by me along with paint. I added classic auto air this summer then decided I needed a rebuilt motor. With the fresh motor and ac I will drive it when I can as long as no salt on the roads or rain. Prob not more than 2 to 3 thousand miles a year.

Howdy Back:

Neat Eric. Please let us know how satisfied with the current level of performance for your car. Is it an auto trans? What is the elevation where you are? Till then, enjoy.

Adios, David

More power than ever, even with 2.83 rear with a c4. Stomp it and I get a little bit of tire squeal! About 2500 rpm at 70 mph pretty neat. Still only around 12 to 13 seconds 0 to 60 mph time on the street. I considered a v8 but hated to pull the original motor out. A ds11 and headers are interesting along with a different carb as I have fuel boiling in warm weather 15 minutes after shutdown. I do have a spacer. I don't know if I want to alter it that much though. 300ish ft above sea level. I am also thinking of an 8" rear with 3 or 3.20 gears for more fun.

Howdy Back:

Your are right on in considering a rear gear change next. A 3.08 or 3.25:1 in an 8" rear would really wake up your ride. 3.08s are fairly easy to come by. A lower gear with the stock torque converter will surprise you.

On the carb heat; in the summer drive, disconnect the hot water to the undercarb spacer and by pass it. That and a heat deflector of some kind could go a long ways to solve the heat boiling a gas. Every summer we see a variety of heat deflectors. Do a search for ideas.

Upgrading to the DS II is a no-brainer. Upgrading to a two barrel will take some thinking and planning. May I suggest that the first step will be finding a D8xx and later head casting as a rebuild core. But that's another story. Read, read, read.

Keep it coming, oh and Merry Christmas.

Adios, David

Oh yeah, sounds like a candidate for the DSII (at the least) & may B the head work…
2V carb is right behind.
Welcome to the club!
Had my rig since '83 & just gettin to this stuff myself, never too late!
:eek:

Howdy Back Eric:

A couple of other thoughts crossed my mind. While going to a Header is cool and sexy, going to a 2" exhaust system and a Turbo tyoe muffler is foundation. And the time to do it is when you have to replace/repair your exhaust system. This exhaust system will be an improvement in performance and sound all by itself and will be a great foundation for when you decide to go to a header.

And, another option for a stock appearing and compatible with you LoM distributor is an Autolite 1101 from a 1963 & '64 ford car with a 223 six. It has a SCV and the cfm goes from 185 up to 215. It will be a slam dunk bolt on except for one tiny detail. You will need to flare out the top of the soft metal carb adaptor plate between the carb and the manifold. I did mine with a rat tail file. If you trial fit the 1101 you will see that the throttle blade will not clear the carb adapter when you open the throttle. SO the little file good creates the clearance. Everything else will bolt up like stock.

These upgrades will give you another boost in your smile meter. Enjoy!

Adios, David

I have an 1101 in my parts pile. It needs the throttle shaft bushed though and I will get that done. How about about a non scv carb that will work with my cool sprint chrome air cleaner with a bit more cfm? Is there such an animal?

Howdy Back:

A '69 1101 from a '69 mustang with a 250 engine. It is also rated at 215 cdm and is stock appearing. Other one barrels that would put cfm in the same range are a Carter RBS, used on 250 sixes from 1970 to '74, is a good one requiring a little more adaptation. Same with the Carter YF from a pickup with a 300 six.

Adios, David

Back