Inline 200 weber swap

66mustang0103

Here is my setup in my 66 mustang.
It is an inline 200 with a Weber 32/36, fuel regulator, stock fuel pump, electric fan, load-o-matic dizzy with petronix installed in it.
I have the vacuum line for the distributor running off of a manifold source. I just read somewhere that the stock distributor can only be used with the stock carburetor? Is this true?
I have just got it installed and it is running rough and little bit on the hot side 205 to 210.
What fuel pressure are these carburetors supposed to run at? Anything below 5.5 psi and it will die?
I am planning on trying to tune the carburetor this weekend are the any tips before I start? The carburetor is used and was previously on an inline 6.

Thanks in advance Josh

you need to replace the stock load o matic with a later model distributor. i prefer on from a late 70s inline 3.3l or 250 using the duraspark system.

Also when looking for distributors I have noticed there are two different shafts. The 1/4 hex and 5/16 hex. What would be the best way to tell what mine is? I am not with the car at the moment.

Thanks again Josh

yes the one you listed would work fine. and yes you need the 5/16" hex shaft, the 1/4" one is for pre 64 engines like what is in my 64 falcon(it has a late production 63 170)

Nope, not without a recurve. DUI is a lowest common denominator igntion system, with known problems, and known remedies to them.

There is a reason why they are cheaper....they are CHEAP. Now, as those who have throw away Falcons and Model T, A, and 32 Fords and Fox Fords know, cheap isn't always BAD.

With a Weber, you need 100% stable ignition as any 2-bbl carb, Holley 350/500'S, Autolite 2100/Motorcraft 2150 and Webers especially, have some little foibiles relating to there sensitivity to having a nice fat spark, and a stock DUI just isn't stable over time. Its advance curve is wrong, its components are less stable and reliable than a Duraspark II. Improvement from what you have, yes!, but a stock recurved Duraspark is simply brilliant. Ask the Jeep i6 guys about ignition cap crossfire, (its a Duraspark without the later Ford cap, and a real problem with all early Duraspark I's) and you'll realise that FoMoCo's large cap Duraspark II is simply the best thing you can get.

If you want up front cost reduction, that will get you in ball park, but it'll need a recalibration, and the three people I know who can do that, won't like having to redo something with suspect oiling and components. Matt gets a sharp price and 100% back up from DUI, and that's a relationship cultivated by years of work Mike W did with Classic Inlines.

With just some smart networking, you could buy the right Ignition

1. from Matt Cox at Vintage Inlines list of 201 parts (https://www.vintageinlines.com/all-products) and buy this,

DurasparkII.jpg

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... erformance

2. or contact Bill Ambler (wsa111) its still June! Have either a junk yard or their own supplied Duraspark distributor dialed in to suit your application. Or an HEI that really works OUT OF THE BOX...

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=76837

or FalconSedanDelivery, only does Durasparks, does business all over the world, from Oz but also to Alaska too...

FalconSedanDelivery":3ligbpp9 said:
I do Recurving you can E-mail me at TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com for details

I'm all for the free market, DUI are to be commended and have a good basic product, and I'm all for US support, someone benefits in the market place, but you have to look at the whole package. Its just not as good out of the box as a Duraspark, and that's why its cheaper....

My mission is to ensure everyone has a carbed I6 Ford that idles, performs well and drinks fuel moderately. If you look at the statistics, there are many happy DUI owners here, but they don't realise that the idle, performance and fuel consumption is less than what it should be, and the ignition is where to start with fixing that....you don't want to Do It Twice....

My HEI's are curved for your application, I still prefer the large cap DS11's. Will need a coil and one of my HEI modules or a MSD-6al ignition box.
Let me know if interested in the best. Bill

Thanks for the replies everyone! I learn something new every time I come here. Due to budget concerns I will probably call WSA11 tomorrow and ask about his June special and see what all he has to say.

Thanks Josh

That last combo mentioned is a great one.
That HEI dist. can't be used with the oem 'blue grommet' box tho, eh?

(I think yer all set on dis. shaft diamiter for all sm i6s above 1963).

Last - what are the coils recomended with this suggested combo? Thnx~

chad":2rdzqssv said:
That last combo mentioned is a great one.
That HEI dist. can't be used with the oem 'blue grommet' box tho, eh?

(I think yer all set on dis. shaft diamiter for all sm i6s above 1963).

Last - what are the coils recomended with this suggested combo? Thnx~
MSD Blaster 2 or Blaster 3.

Howdy Josh:

FYI the reason your Weber is not compatible with your stock LoM distributor is that the Weber usually requires a ported vacuum signal to work properly. Your LoM has a load sensitive signal created by a stock carb with a Spark Control Valve.

The DS II distributor will give you a proper vacuum signal as well as a properly recurved centrifugal advance, when it comes from Bill.

Good choice and good luck.

Adios, David

Back