car jumping in gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, mine has C4 and cable was attached to arm on firewall. I just ordered one I posted, should work. Btw., what is it for....?
Differential is leaking badly, what's $ to rebuild?
I need to replace front shocks, any you would recommend?

That cable affects the trans shifting and it will down shift the trans from Drive (in high gear cruise) by dropping it into 2nd gear like when you need to build up some extra speed for passing. On the shocks I am parcel to the Gabriel shocks for most daily driver street car use. Good luck (y) :nod:

U ran into strange el. problem.
I drove at night yesterday and noticed front lights did not work, rear were on..
when I pressed floor button for lower front lights all went on.
I started car this morning, but nothing, it did not turned the starter, no click.
It eventually started when I change gear to Neutral, now it starts as it supposed to....
I replaced the neutral ignition switch before yesterday, but doubt it's related, any idea what it could be?
ignition switch, light switch?

Sounds like the NS switch needs some slight adjustment so it starts correctly. The switch has slots to allow it to turn a little, when it’s rigjt it will start in park and neutral. On the lights could be several things start by cleaning all the wire conections, then also test the dimmer and headlight switches with your volt / meter to see if they still work. You can also improve the headlite operation by adding a relay

I followed "how to install neutral safety switch" guidance I found on net. There's small hole on switch cover which should be lined up with hole inside. I did line up, but than the holes on switch for screws were off (not lined up) with holes on switch. I couldn't screw the switch on transmission. So I just found the sweet spot where it would start on P and N....

It starts fine now.
Front lights are not working, only when I turn on high beams...
I did not have el. meter on me, will try to see what's going on this time tomorrow.
What's approx. price on rebuilding differential? Leaking.

Glad to hear you are making some headway on your Fairlane! I'll mention that you might want to do a little detective work to see if you can get a better idea where the coolant leak is coming from. I believe that there is a large freeze plug on the back end of the block (actually two one is the cam cover and the other is the for the water jacket). Replacement would require pulling the trans out and drive plate to get at it. Read pita.

When removing the the exhaust manifold from the head there are two bolts one at the front top and another at the rear top that screw into a small casting (ear) which is part of the head. Some times if the bolt and or the ear is rusty it can break off and that a big problem. Soak with your favorite loosening product and proceed w/caution.

I don't have a wiring diagram for your car but there may be a relay connected to the hi/low beam switch that directs the voltage to the hi or low beam filaments in head lamps. That would be my 1st guess as to where the issue lies. The relay is in a small metal unit which it's cover has a few crimps that secure it. You may be able to open it up and clean up the contacts with some fine grit paper (600 or higher) to get it working again.

GL
Terry

rustywagon":2h371vpu said:
I followed "how to install neutral safety switch" guidance I found on net. There's small hole on switch cover which should be lined up with hole inside. I did line up, but than the holes on switch for screws were off (not lined up) with holes on switch. I couldn't screw the switch on transmission. So I just found the sweet spot where it would start on P and N....

It starts fine now.
Front lights are not working, only when I turn on high beams...
I did not have el. meter on me, will try to see what's going on this time tomorrow.
What's approx. price on rebuilding differential? Leaking.

The shift linkage probably needs to be adjusted too then the NS can be in the right position, this happens over time when the motor a trans mounts settle from age.

Since the lights will work on high beams this indicates that the head light switch is working. Focus on the head light bulbs (the hi low ones they have three contacts) the wiring connectors and the floor dimmer switch. Parts to rebuild a rear axle can be about 300:00 to 500:00 range for all the parts you might also look for a used axle too if yours has an 8 inch in it you could swap in another third member. Good luck (y) :nod:

I wanted to look into lights issue today, but they worked. They stopped working tonight..... I managed to "fix" back up lights, they never worked. It was the faulty neutral switch. It's not lined up as instruction manual indicates, but it starts in P and N as should and back up lights work so I am happy....
I was looking at few videos how to replace pinion seal on differential. Doesn't seem to be complicated, is it doable?, I do not want to open can of worms, but I 'd learn something new. In worst case scenario I can have it tow to shop....

:unsure: Yes replacing the piñon seal is doable, though most times this job it's not done correctly so it doesn't fix the real problem. :shock: If you don't replace the old crush sleeve with the new seal and make sure the bearing preload & gear patern are both set right, it likely won't last and or will destroy the ring and pinion gear set. In other words to have a grantee of success every setting needs to be done just as if you were doing a full rebuild even if you aren't replacing the bearings. Good luck :nod:

I will leave the seal to by replaced by pro. There's good shop near me (hope better than all those mechanics :).
I have question regarding to front shocks. I replaced those myself a year ago.
I am not sure if I did anything wrong, or I ordered wrong ones. The shock's shafts rattle in upper mounting brackets.
There's rubber seal, but doesn't sit in opening properly, it's tight to max., but it moves around as shock "works".

:unsure: Do you have any pictures showing the shock mountings top and bottom? :nod:

I will take pics later today.
I have another issue - the shift collar hole for shifting lever pin is worn out, the lever is loose and rattles, look like it will fall out soon. How difficult id to replace the collar? Thank you. M
btw. I "fix" the front light issue - following advice posted here, I found issue with foot switch, loose harness there. Thank you again.
The lights/bulbs illuminating dashboard are extra weak, I ordered bulbs online, but nothing seems to fit....

The shift collar isn’t too hard to replace involves removing the steering wheel and turn signal switch. The part is available from many sources see below for what it looks like. The dash light bulbs should be available at some auto parts stores like NAPA once you have the bulb number, if I remember correctly there were about 3 different part numbers one for the high beam indicator, another for each turn signal, last all the rest of dash blind were the same. Did you try turning the headlight knob to brighten the dash lights, clockwise to brighten counter clockwise to dim? Make sure you have good ground under the dash too clean all the dust out of dash sockets etc.. Glad your getting so many items fixed and working, Good luck (y) :nod:

Example of a 1966 Ford Fairlane Shift Collar
https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/product ... gJlS_D_BwE

here's pics of shocks, as you can see top(s) is not in center of mount, it dances around.... There is rubber bushing which came with shocks, I tightened nuts to max, it did not compress bushings enough.

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 41
Do you have another washer and rubber bushing under the upper shock mount in the top picture? Also the lower coil spring mount (that the shock also mounts too) has a rubber bushing in the center pivot point. This bushing maybe wornout causing some of the problem. Good luck (y) :nod:

there's bushing in lower mount.
there's only rubber bushing on top of upper mount, not under....
is this diagram correct? Thank you

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 33
I am going to lock this topic.
The reason this has gone from an engine deal now to a suspension conversation.
Post a topic in a section where it applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back