HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY?

A

Anonymous

Merry Christmas to all!

Well, I gave my pony a gift for christmas—a full tank, however after leaving the station she read halfway only. After parking it in my garage, I decided to take her for another sleigh ride, this time it's much more worse, she read empty. I brought her this morning to office and still it's a big letter "E". What happened?

BTW, I replaced the the whole sending unit months ago since the original refuses to work. It's a japanese and we don't have much Ford parts here in our area.

Where do I start?

That happened to me last year. Float cracked, filled with gas, and sank to the bottom of the tank.

addo":2yxjq8rk said:
Does your temperature gauge work reliably?

Sometimes it does and most of the time not. The needle will only move up 10% and will stay there. If I warm her up like 10 minutes of idling, the needle will shoot halfway. But if I drive her right away it stays near the C position.

Well, I suggest the instrument panel voltage regulator is faulty. This will affect the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. It's cheap to replace, but a little fiddly...

To be 100% sure of this, try shorting out the temp sender on a bolt head, while the ignition's on. It should shoot fully to hot. Or try unplugging the fuel sender wire boot from the sender, and shorting this to ground. Get a friend to watch. Again, expect full travel. Don't send the positive feed up the fuel sender wire by mistake. :shock:

Good luck.

addo":3mj5tqht said:
Well, I suggest the instrument panel voltage regulator is faulty. This will affect the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. It's cheap to replace, but a little fiddly...

To be 100% sure of this, try shorting out the temp sender on a bolt head, while the ignition's on. It should shoot fully to hot. Or try unplugging the fuel sender wire boot from the sender, and shorting this to ground. Get a friend to watch. Again, expect full travel. Don't send the positive feed up the fuel sender wire by mistake. :shock:

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll do it this weekend. I'll let you know my situation :)

Back